List of what fish eat what foods?

1. Downward Dog Member Member

Hello! I'm wondering if there is a list on this site that tells which fish are carnivores or herbivores? I have a DG that I assume has fin rot (but he also has had a white spot on his fin for 2 months now), and I'm doing water changes every other day. The other natural treatment recommended was to increase the quality of his diet. I feed him freeze-dried shrimp, Colors flakes, and veggie flakes. I'm wondering if I should feed him a live food, and if so, what?
    My only other fish in the tank is a cardinal, cory, and snail. I know, I know, I need to get these guys in schools, but I'm afraid of adding any more fish until I figure out what's wrong with my DG:-(

Thanks!

2. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Dwarf Gouramis, sadly, are quite often lost to a disease that strikes them specifically. If he's been sick for 2 months, and the other fish have shown no symptoms, then I wouldn't worry.

I feed a variety of frozen plankton/brine shrimp/mix, cichlid flakes/pellets, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, veggie flakes and bloodworms to all of my species. Are you feeding a cheaper flake food? When you feed the freeze-dried shrimp, are you hydrating it first? You might try to soak the food in Garlic Guard and Vita Chem, which will boost your DG's health and immunity.

3. Downward Dog Member Member

Hi LyndaB,
    Thanks for responding. I use Tetra brand foods. I am NOT hydrating the shrimp, just crushing it up between my fingers. Should I be hydrating it first??? I tried soaking the flakes in garlic juice but that didn't work well at all, the food just sank straight to the bottom. I'll look into the GG and whatever Vita Chem is. Thanks!

4. Downward Dog Member Member

Oh, I should add that I lost my corydora too -- he bleached out whiter-than-white, was constantly upside-down, with popeye. Eventually he got fin rot, so I don't know if they are actually suffering from the same thing.