List of my current livebearers

emeraldking
In this quarantine period I've made a summary of my current livebearers.

Current livebearers present:

Endlers (K-class):
Crimson red scarlet
Red scarlet, ChillI
Snakeskin
Snakeskin blonde
Blue orchid
Tuxedo, HB, Black flame
Blond
Santa Maria bleeding heart
Blue star blonde
Leopard (grey & blonde based)
Red tiger
Tiger hybrid
Yellow saddleback
Cardinal

Cumana endlers:
Black bar
El silverado
Staeck
Rainbow
Red chest
Orchid
Yellow top sword

Campoma endlers:
Campoma nr.3
Campoma nr.7
Campoma nr.9
Campoma nr 21
Campoma nr. 42
El tigre
Blue star

Poecilia reticulata
Wild
Rio casanay
Rio solimoes
Surinam green
Cayenne
Baja california
Gillbach
Poecilia reticulata, Paramaribo
Anton Drachtenweg, 2005, Surinam (officially not a Poecilia reticulata)
Poecilia obscura (officially not a Poecilia reticulata)

Fancy
Ginga rubra blonde
Ginga kinubali
Blue rio
Panda lutino
Panda platinum blonde
Panda
High end ritz DS gray
High end ritz DS blonde
Filigree topsword blond
Japan blanco
Albino koi
Tuxedo red koi
Platinum koi (grey based)
Platinum koi (blonde based)
Yellow tuxedo
Filigree moscow
Dragon
Magenta tuxedo rountail
Albino lace shorttail

Xiphophorus
Xiphophorus pygmaeus
Xiphophorus hellerI yucatan
Xiphophorus hellerI alvarezI
Xiphophorus rio papaloapan
Xiphophorus signum
Xiphophorus kallmanI
Xiphophorus montezumae
Xiphophorus variatus la laguna
Xiphophorus variatus (aquarium strain)
Xiphophorus evelynae
Xiphophorys maculatus (wild caught 2019 Chuco's place)
Xiphophorus Xiphidium crescent
Xiphophorus milleri
Xiphophorus hellerI black (Hamburger swordtail, aquarium strain)
Xiphophorus hellerI white (cross from my Malboro swordtails)

Limia
Limia perugiae
Limia nigrofasciata
Limia vittata
Limia tiger
Limia melanogaster
Limia tridens

Molly
Choco molly
Poecilia Mexicana
Poecilia salvatoris

Girardinus
Girardinus metallicus black belly
Girardinus metallicus (plane coloroured)
Girardinus falcatus

Phalloceros
Phalloceros caudimaculatus
reticulatus
Phalloceros caudimaculatus
Auratus

Brachyrhaphis
Brachyrhaphis rosenI

Nomorhamphus
Nomorhamphus ebrardtiI
Nomorhamphus sp. Muna island

Phallichthys
Phallichtys tico
Phallichtys quadripunctatus
Phallichtys pittierI

Goodeids
Ameca splendens
Xenotoca eisini, San marcos
Xenotoca variata
Characodon lateralis
Ataeniobius towerI
Neotoca bilineata
Girardinichthys viviparus
Zoogoneticus tequila
Zoogoneticus purhepechus
Chapalichthys pardalis
Alloophorus robustus

Poeciliopsis
Poeciliopsis gracilis
Poeciliopsis profilica

Micropoecilia
Micropoecilia picta

Heterandria
Heterandria formosa

Neoheterandria
Neoheterandria elegans

Mutt tank
Different crosses between guppies and endlers

And some hybrid projects

CippysFish
Whoa, you’ve gotta have one great aquarium room. I’m going for the Breeder community vibe myself, so it’s exciting to see others doing it! I’d love to be check out any fry you have at the moment.

emeraldking
Whoa, you’ve gotta have one great aquarium room. I’m going for the Breeder community vibe myself, so it’s exciting to see others doing it! I’d love to be check out any fry you have at the moment.
The fishroom ain't that large. But there are also two other spaces in the house with fishtanks. And during the better months, livebearers are also kept outdoors.
But I'm keeping myself busy with this passion for just over 45 years now. And it still keeps my busy...

Demeter
I'm going to go a little off topic, but not much. I've recently placed a small order (4) of Girardinus metallicus yellow belly. I plan to avoid brackish setups and keep mine in freshwater. They'll be going in a well planted 36gal.

I hear they like a bit of plant matter in their diet, which is nice because I have a bad case of brush/hair algae. Do you think they'll eat it?

Are they as prolific as guppies or are they easier to keep in check? Any specific tips or things you've found useful?

jake37
Do you have green swordtails and what do you call the red swordtails with a spot of white on the underside ? I was so disappointed when i couldn't find green swordtails in the pet shops any longer. What

emeraldking
I'm going to go a little off topic, but not much. I've recently placed a small order (4) of Girardinus metallicus yellow belly. I plan to avoid brackish setups and keep mine in freshwater. They'll be going in a well planted 36gal.

I hear they like a bit of plant matter in their diet, which is nice because I have a bad case of brush/hair algae. Do you think they'll eat it?

Are they as prolific as guppies or are they easier to keep in check? Any specific tips or things you've found useful?
Like a lot of livebearers, also the G.metallicus like to eat the algae. But if you´re going to feed them something else, they´ll probably will choose that instead of the algae. But overhere a lot of livebearers will graze on the algae.
They can be prolific but less than fancy guppies. There aren´t specific needs to keep them and to get them to breed. They´re omnivores. So, they´ll eat almost everything. Don´t put them with unfriendly fish despite of their vivid behavior.n They´ll hardly chase their fry which is a plus to me.
Do you have green swordtails and what do you call the red swordtails with a spot of white on the underside ? I was so disappointed when i couldn't find green swordtails in the pet shops any longer. What
I do have green swordtails as being wild strains overhere.
A red swordtail with just some white on the bottom side of the chest or the belly is still called a red swordtail. Unless, the white is more present as a real blotch, it will be called a koi swordtail. And in such a case a kohaku swordtail (bicolor = two colors). Kohaku swordtails comes in different ratios of red(could also be orange)/white. But a picture would be nice to see wether it should be called a koi or just a red swordtail.

jake37
Its probably just a red; this is third generation (i started with a male with a small blotch and female that was all red; 2nd generation female was all red - i have a problem that i only get females frys - or only the females make it to adult hood) - sorry for the poor picture she doesn't like to stay still. It is a 29 with guppy/swords and i guess i under feed them because they are always looking for food when i walk over:

Anyway i mostly just like three types of swordtails myself - not a big fan of all the new fancy sorts.

8.jpg

Like a lot of livebearers, also the G.metallicus like to eat the algae. But if you´re going to feed them something else, they´ll probably will choose that instead of the algae. But overhere a lot of livebearers will graze on the algae.
They can be prolific but less than fancy guppies. There aren´t specific needs to keep them and to get them to breed. They´re omnivores. So, they´ll eat almost everything. Don´t put them with unfriendly fish despite of their vivid behavior.n They´ll hardly chase their fry which is a plus to me.

I do have green swordtails as being wild strains overhere.
A red swordtail with just some white on the bottom side of the chest or the belly is still called a red swordtail. Unless, the white is more present as a real blotch, it will be called a koi swordtail. And in such a case a kohaku swordtail (bicolor = two colors). Kohaku swordtails comes in different ratios of red(could also be orange)/white. But a picture would be nice to see wether it should be called a koi or just a red swordtail.

emeraldking
This is a red swordtail...

jake37
Yea i've always liked the plain reds with a touch of white and the greens with very strong green tail. What is the scientific name or is it generic.

This is a red swordtail...

emeraldking
Yea i've always liked the plain reds with a touch of white and the greens with very strong green tail. What is the scientific name or is it generic.
All fancy strains (so, all aquarium strains) of swordtails are derived from the Xiphophorus helleri. In the wild there are besides the X.helleri also other wild swordtail strains. And not all green wild swordtails are X.helleri. And not all swordtails are tropical. Just southern swordtails are considered being tropical and northern swordtails are subtropical. The northern ones should be kept at lower temperatures and will do well (also reproduction) between 15°C - 22°C. They can even withstand lower for a little while. The same goes for wild platies. It depends wether they're northern or southern platies. And with southern and northern we mean the altitude that they're endemic to. The higher they live (think of mountain area), the colder the water they live in.
Platies only occur in Mexico. But swordtails have a wider range where they occur. So, not just Mexico.
It's a mistake that a lot of people think that all swordtails should be kept at 22°C+. And I bet that a lot of stores don't know this. But this goes for more livebearers that are sold as being tropical.

jake37
Thanks. Yea i sort of knew the reds were an early man made thing - you mentioned cold/warm for wild swordtails but aren't nearly all store swordtails tank raised and therefore induced to a certain temperature ?

All fancy strains (so, all aquarium strains) of swordtails are derived from the Xiphophorus helleri. In the wild there are besides the X.helleri also other wild swordtail strains. And not all green wild swordtails are X.helleri. And not all swordtails are tropical. Just southern swordtails are considered being tropical and northern swordtails are subtropical. The northern ones should be kept at lower temperatures and will do well (also reproduction) between 15°C - 22°C. They can even withstand lower for a little while. The same goes for wild platies. It depends wether they're northern or southern platies. And with southern and northern we mean the altitude that they're endemic to. The higher they live (think of mountain area), the colder the water they live in.
Platies only occur in Mexico. But swordtails have a wider range where they occur. So, not just Mexico.
It's a mistake that a lot of people think that all swordtails should be kept at 22°C+. And I bet that a lot of stores don't know this. But this goes for more livebearers that are sold as being tropical.

emeraldking
Thanks. Yea i sort of knew the reds were an early man made thing - you mentioned cold/warm for wild swordtails but aren't nearly all store swordtails tank raised and therefore induced to a certain temperature ?
All fancy swordtails are tank raised and yes already acclimatized to a bit higher temperatures. But when I made the remark about colder and warmer for wilds was that a relevant store would generalize a higher temperature for all swordtails. I wanted to explain that that doesn't go for all swordtails. For a lot of stores think that swordtails are always tropical. A small number of wilds are offered commercially.

Overhere a video of some fancy swordtails which were kept outdoors during a part of the year. They were harvested by me at a temperature of 13°C and they still had fry with these temperatures.

I do have to say that complete red swordtails won't occur in the wild with the exception of released species such in waters of the Canary islands. But red as a partial color does occur in the wild. For instance, Yucatan swordtails are officially green swordtail but dominant males can show red on the lower part of the body. And if there are multiple dominant males, the most dominant ones can even be covered with more red on the body as if it's an almost compleet red one. the difference is that beneath the red, it does show a green body.
Here's a video of my Yucatans where some reds are present (but they've started of as being greens). There's also a male that starts to show some red on the lower part of the body in this video.

jake37
Thanks for the info. In a sense it is good to know because i can't keep cold water fishes. During the summer the inside temp is 77-81f (25-28c) (outside much warmer). You should write a summary of what you know in one of the sticky description for live-bearers. I mean it is a lot of useful information.

emeraldking
Thanks for the info. In a sense it is good to know because i can't keep cold water fishes. During the summer the inside temp is 77-81f (25-28c) (outside much warmer). You should write a summary of what you know in one of the sticky description for live-bearers. I mean it is a lot of useful information.
Well, you could also try to visit my website about livebearers. I'm busy updating it. With the current home quarantine, I don't have any excuse for not doing some updating the site.

This past friday i've finished my atricle about superfetation in the Poeciliidae family. It will be published in the May edition of Poecilia news of our national society of livebearers.

jake37
only if we know you have a website (which we now do); fyi pictures don't show up under section fishtank with firefox or chrome.

emeraldking
only if we know you have a website (which we now do); fyi pictures don't show up under section fishtank with firefox or chrome.
www.emeraldking-aquatics.com.
It's not a commercial website but an informative one and it shows me as being a passionate aquarist.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BradleyH2O
Top Bottom