Liquid ferts and suggested water changes

Nickguy5467
So.. I've started using Thrive C (after using Thrive+ for a long time) and like the other they have a suggested % weekly water change. is this change because of nitrates? i thought it is. anyway at the end of my week my nitrate test is 0 or at least really close to 0. is this because my plants are consuming them all and negating the reason for the water change?

side note: my banana plant finally took root and is growing

IMG_20210218_182709388.jpg

smee82
If your nitrates are at 0 by the end of the week i would look at a different fert that can add some more nitrates.

But a 50% water change every week will reset your water parameters so you dont get a build up of anything.

Nickguy5467
If your nitrates are at 0 by the end of the week i would look at a different fert that can add some more nitrates.

But a 50% water change every week will reset your water parameters so you dont get a build up of anything.
i dose on monday and wednesday usually and then check and do my water changes sunday. is it possible that its consumed? maybe i should dose a third day even those the directions say 2x week

if you are familiar with niclog thrive products . im still finding the right amount. if thrive + is the top. and Thrive C the bottom. maybe regular thrive is in the middle? maybe ill try that but isnt 0 nitrate a good thing as the plants are taking it?

thrive C recommends 30% change. + was 50%(i had a lot of black beard algae during this time near the end of the bottle so i decided to try C) though im not entirely sure that + was the cause of the algae. but its gone now thats all i know

GlennO
i dose on monday and wednesday usually and then check and do my water changes sunday. is it possible that its consumed? maybe i should dose a third day even those the directions say 2x week

It's possible that the plants are using it and a higher volume or an extra dose is required each week. What nitrate level is the standard dose supposed to achieve? My all-in-one fert is supposed to add 7.5ppm nitrate at the standard dose. It's recommended to dose 1-2 times weekly for low light, 3 times weekly for high light. I dose Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays and usually always have around 10ppm nitrate.

Nickguy5467
It's possible that the plants are using it and a higher volume or an extra dose is required each week. What nitrate level is the standard dose supposed to achieve? My all-in-one fert is supposed to add 7.5ppm nitrate at the standard dose. It's recommended to dose 1-2 times weekly for low light, 3 times weekly for high light. I dose Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays and usually always have around 10ppm nitrate.
i think C is too little because its designed for a low tech tank. and i have pressurized co2 running every day also. i dont know what you would call my light, but its nothing fancy. just a finnex planted plus 24/7, but i never use that 24/7 gimmick

smee82

if you are familiar with niclog thrive products . im still finding the right amount. if thrive + is the top. and Thrive C the bottom. maybe regular thrive is in the middle? maybe ill try that but isnt 0 nitrate a good thing as the plants are taking it?

thrive C recommends 30% change. + was 50%(i had a lot of black beard algae during this time near the end of the bottle so i decided to try C) though im not entirely sure that + was the cause of the algae. but its gone now thats all i know

Im not familiar with niclog as we dont have it here but i do know its got a good rep as an all in one fert. I have no idea what the difference is between the 3 but 0 nitrates is not good.

I know it sounds strange but you generally you want your nitrates to stay above 10 although lower nitrates can help make some plants redder.

Mudminnow
I feel like reaching 0 nitrates in a planted tank is only ok if you are fertilizing heavily in the substrate, and you don't have epiphytic plants. Otherwise, I agree with what others have said: reaching 0 nitrate is generally no good in a planted tank.

I think water changes are for more than just lowering nitrates. Water changes also remove dissolved and solid organic waste (algae food). And, they keep you from getting a build up of any fertilizer/nutrient in your tank that could lead to toxicity over time (not just nitrate). Plus, they help keep everything looking nice.

If you are good at balancing how much fertilizers and food go into your tank so that the plants always have enough food and nothing is building up in your water, then it is possible to run a tank with little to no water changes long-term. This is tricky to do though, and takes quite a bit of expertise/luck. I find doing weekly water changes is just easier.

Nickguy5467
Im not familiar with niclog as we dont have it here but i do know its got a good rep as an all in one fert. I have no idea what the difference is between the 3 but 0 nitrates is not good.

I know it sounds strange but you generally you want your nitrates to stay above 10 although lower nitrates can help make some plants redder.
I feel like reaching 0 nitrates in a planted tank is only ok if you are fertilizing heavily in the substrate, and you don't have epiphytic plants. Otherwise, I agree with what others have said: reaching 0 nitrate is generally no good in a planted tank.

I think water changes are for more than just lowering nitrates. Water changes also remove dissolved and solid organic waste (algae food). And, they keep you from getting a build up of any fertilizer/nutrient in your tank that could lead to toxicity over time (not just nitrate). Plus, they help keep everything looking nice.

If you are good at balancing how much fertilizers and food go into your tank so that the plants always have enough food and nothing is building up in your water, then it is possible to run a tank with little to no water changes long-term. This is tricky to do though, and takes quite a bit of expertise/luck. I find doing weekly water changes is just easier.
im going to try a week ok dosing more than recommended . it says 5ml per 5 gallons. so i would dose 6 times that day. maybe ill try 8 doses a day? or something. until i run out of the bottle and go up one and use regular thrive

edit: okay so im dumb. i didnt do the test correctly so it only showed the color from the first bottle solution so right now its between 20-40 as i just dosed yesterday. ill check again on sunday

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Plantedtank2021
  • Question
Replies
Views
Arrow1oo
Replies
Views
acjag
Replies