Liquid Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by danhutchins, Apr 19, 2017.

1. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Was wondering if one would need to dose more Fertilizer if the amount of plants are high or for larger plants? I have been using the recommended dose on the bottle but my plants don't seem to be getting what they need. I have an Amazon sword and some water Sprite also have micranthemum Monte Carlo floating. But nothing seems to be happening. I have two 40 watt 18000k bulbs and two 23 watt 65000k bulbs so Im sure lighting is not a problem. I'm using organic potting soil as substrate toped with aquarium sand. Just want plants to grow. They don't look bad they are green just not growing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of the tank
    a0df32ea32af1f975b14c14b0cd45caa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    d

I know its not heavily planted now but just looking for advice on if it were and also why these plants are not growing.

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Sorry you haven't gotten any replies.

Are you sure your bulb is 18000K? That seems abnormally high, usually you want 6000-8000 K for plants. And I don't think 65000K exists haha. What are they? LEDs? T5s? CFLs?

If you have more plants more ferts are necessary, but as you say, you don't really have that many. And which fert is it exactly?

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The guy has two suns as his tank light haha.
    Even without ferts, if he has some potting soil I would expect plants to grow. Maybe he just added them recently and they were adapting to their new environment.

5. OP
    OP
    d

I have 2 18000k t-8 bulbs im looking at the box it came in one is an aqua glo and one is a power glo. I also had2 6500k. Seems to me you knew what i was talking about typos happen, no need to poke fun if you don't know don't answer. I don't go to your posts and make fun of them. Although i could.

Don't reply if you can't answer.

I have had these plants for about2 months and they look identical to when i purchased them, no new growth.

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Sorry I think you're being unnecessarily rude. I was not poking fun, nor was I sure that it was a typo. I didn't want to assume without giving you a chance to explain. No need to tell people not to reply, this is a public forum and both Beanfish and I were trying to help. He offered a very reasonable suggestion, that your plants were newly planted. This turned out to not be the case but it could've been.

Since light doesn't seem to be your limiting factor, what ferts are you dosing specifically? Any CO2 additives?

7. OP
    OP
    d

Wasn't being rude. The jabs about having two suns as lighting and the hahaha's are what's rude. I dose liquid co2 following directions on bottle along with leaf zone and flourish. I follow all directions and can't figure out why there is no new growth.

Have been doing a lot of reading and i think i know what the issues is. Apparently i have been doing water changes at the wrong time of day (during photo period) i have found a few posts on other forums that say to do water changes before the lights go on or after they go out. Does this seem reasonable?

8. Oleander

Oleander New Member Member

In my experience,liquid ferts will make the leaves look nice and green, but if there isn't much fertilizer in the substrate, they won't take on much size for quite a while.

9. OP
    OP
    d

Im using organic potting soil. Read that it is great for aquarium plants. Its topped with aquarium sand. There should be a good amount of ferts there. Wondering if the water changes are the issue im currently doing them after the lights come on so maybe wait till they go out? I read a couple posts on another forum that says to do this but not to sure how reasonable it is. Will give it a shot for a few weeks to find out.

10. OP
    OP
    d

So, I have come to the conclusion that doing water changes after photo period is just ridiculous. Found some of my fish nibbling on the plants and now I'm sure this is why they seem as though they are not growing. Time to re-home.

11. BeanFish

What fish? Most live-bearers will eat algae from the leafs... My Mollys still nibble leafs around even when there is no visible algae. As long as there is no damage done the fish aren't the fault.

12. OP
    OP
    d

Not sure what the names of the fish are that are in question because I have had them so long but will upload a picture of them.

65bb5f6667e6cc23388413fc5eb0e14a.jpg also have an angel, high fin catfish, eal and Cory cats but have only ever seen the ones in the pic attacking the plants.

13. BeanFish

Have never looked at a fish like that lol. Maybe you can ask for an ID on here, knowing what exactly he is will help you rehome it too.

14. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I do all my water changes during the photoperiod, never after lights out

15. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Leporinus fasciatus

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice