Liquid Fertilizer Help? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Otag, Jan 29, 2019.

1. OtagNew MemberMember

Hey all....So i have a tank that's has a good amount of new plants in it....anubias, cryptos, java ferns, dwarf sag, etc. All low tech stuff.

I have eco-complete (not the cichlid one) as a substrate.

Fish - 1 betta, neon tetras, panda corys, ghost shrimp and a nerite snail. I know some stuff is harmful to shrimp.

Just wondering to help give them a boost what you guys recommend to help them out. They are all slowly growing...slowly. The java fern and another fern type plant i have look pretty terrible, the rest all look good.

I know fluval makes that 45g co2 kit that gets extremely mixed reviews...or do i go with a liquid substitute?

2. MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

How old is the tank?

3. OtagNew MemberMember

It was transferred from a smaller tank that was about a month and a half old. It’s been in the newer tank for a few days now

4. MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Then you shouldn’t worry about fertz yet. All these plants are going to be slow growers and that they take time to get established. Java fern and other plants like that go through a melting phase where they drop there old leaves and grow new ones that are better adapted to the new tank. you can go with co2 and it will definelty help but you cant rush plants.

5. Elle2128Valued MemberMember

If you do decide to go with some liquid ferts I've seen a lot of people on here recommending Thrive, and I know they make a shrimp safe version. Something to look into possibly.

6. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

I don’t think thrive s would be necessary. They still need copper but are killed at higher levels. Normal thrive would be fine. I use thrive c with my shrimp because my tap water has 5ppm nitrate.

7. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

All fertilizers are safe for shrimp

I recommend all planted tanks getting fertilizer from day one, unless you're using ADA Amazonia for substrate, which you aren't. Your plants are new and adapting and you can't starve them of nutrients while they are establishing new roots and new growth. If you're going low tech I recommend Nilocg ThriveC and Nilcog root tabs :)