Liquid CO2 Advice

JJ3204

So I’m starting my first planted tank and wow there is so much to take in and I have lots more research to do before starting. I am planning on using Excel to help with some algae problems with the added benefit of more promising plant growth, but I have been informed that some plants dislike liquid CO2. I don’t have the money to spend on an actual CO2 system, so can someone give me advice about what plants I should avoid if using a liquid CO2 and if there is a better brand of liquid CO2 that has good results? Thanks.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
JJ3204 said:
Can I still use it as an algaecide though?
Yes, very effective :)
I've only heard from people that anacharis and vallisneria should avoid excel, but there are probably some others I'm forgetting or other less common/sensitive plants

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

-Mak- said:
Yes, very effective :)
I've only heard from people that anacharis and vallisneria should avoid excel, but there are probably some others I'm forgetting or other less common/sensitive plants
I personally don’t like the look of those two anyway.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Excell will kill the mentioned plants and some moss. I’ve been using the api co2 booster with good results. Hasn’t killed moss,anacharis or westeria on me. Been using for around 2 yrs now. I use the flourish brand of liquid ferts.

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

Okay, I will try API instead. Glad I didn’t buy Excel while I was at the store today.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
I personally use Easycarbo. The main plant in my tanks are vals and I always spot treat straight onto the vals and they haven't died. I like easycarbo because its more concentrated and more volume than excel.

Gh05t

Metricide 14 is basically 2x concentrated Excel. If you want to go that route and arent keeping plants sensitive to it I would just get some Metricide and a gallon of distilled water to dilute it or fraction it down to the dose you need. The last gallon of Metricide I bought was like $25 which equates to 2 gallons of Excel.

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

I think I either want to use ThriveC Liquid Plant Fert (contains carbon) or Easycarbo. One question, I‘m using Aquarium Co-Op’s Easy Green so would it be an overdose of ferts if I use both ThriveC and Easy Green?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Yes! Either or till you finish what your using now. But those are ferts the excell,api are algeacides. Different things to a planted tank.

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

Okay so I’ll use Easycarbo for now with the Easy-Green and when those finish I can try ThriveC if I’m not happy with the two. I would use Easy Carbon from Aquarium Co-Op but I don’t want to risk having plants melt.

JJ3204 said:
Okay so I’ll use Easycarbo for now with the Easy-Green and when those finish I can try ThriveC if I’m not happy with the two. I would use Easy Carbon from Aquarium Co-Op but I don’t want to risk having plants melt.
Actually, since I only have a 10 gallon, they will last for a really long time.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
All of the liquid carbon products are pretty much the same, glutaraldehyde. Other products will be the same even if they're not excel. ThriveC claims to have a non-glut source of carbon

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

I think I’m still doing Easycarbo with Easy Green and either lower the temp and water level a little or add an air stone. I didn’t have a plan but I think I do now.

GlennO

Well Known
FinalFins said:
I personally use Easycarbo. The main plant in my tanks are vals and I always spot treat straight onto the vals and they haven't died. I like easycarbo because its more concentrated and more volume than excel.
Can you tell me what the difference in concentration is compared to Excel? I usually buy Excel because it's quite a bit cheaper for me to get than Easycarbo but I didn't know that the concentration is different.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
In the long run I believe it is cheaper to use easycarbo because of the dosage of it vs excel-

Easycarbo dosing is 1ml per ~13 gallons-

Excel is 1ml per ~10 gallons

A quick google search says Excel is 1.5% glutaraldehyde/polycycloglutaracetal . Easycarbo does not list the concentration of whatever is in it on the bottle, nor did I find anything online.

Assuming that both companies are both targeting the same amount of glutaraldehyde into the tank its safe to assume that easycarbo is more effective.

But since easycarbo has not listed the concentration of ingredients one could assume that Excel is twice as effective as easycarbo, but the companies have widely different opinions on how much glutaraldehyde will do the job.

I hope I made sense.

BigSteve2

JJ3204 said:
I could understand
Just chipping in if you don't mind. I use microbe lift liquid co2 fertilizer and use microbe lift plants green ferts to good effect. The liquid co2 is non-glut using peat extracts as the carbon sauce and contains bb to help plant roots absorb nutrients. About the same price as excel. Doesn't demolish algae quite as quickly but has certainly slowed it down. On my 10g should get about 500 doses from a bottle.

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

Also good to know. So many good choices. Idon’t want to keep changing my mind because it gets too complicated, but I like Easy Green which is a fert so would it be overdose of ferts if I decide to use the Microbe-Lift Bio-Carbon product with the Easy Green? I wouldn’t think so because you said it helps plants absorb nutrients from a fertilizer.

New Threads