Liquid Carbon?

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by CastleGrayskull, Apr 13, 2019.

1. CastleGrayskull Valued Member Member

Hey y'all! I'm setting up a Nano Waldstat Tank and I'm working on figuring out how to let my plants breath. It's only a 10g so I don't really think injecting/diffusing gasseous CO2 would be appropriate and I saw a liquid carbon product at the store and it got me thinking.

Does this stuff actually work?

Can any type of dissolvable carbon double as a CO2 supplement for plants?

How does this work?

Do y'all know?

2. sinned4g63 Well Known Member Member

IME it does make a difference in growth but most of my tanks are low tech and low light. My 10g tank does use co2 but it's not constant or every day, really more so when I remember to prep it in the morning.. But keep in mind what you've already stated, that it is source of additional carbon the plants can use in place of or in addition to co2. You will not get the same results using this that you would if you were to use co2. I suppose depending on the plants and lighting plus ferts the results could vary by tank. Personally I stopped using it on my tanks in place of NilocG Thrive with carbon except for my 9 gallon which tends to get algae, I use Flourish Excel to help with that but of course the plants benefit from it too. But that tank also doesn't get ferts.. Variables man :confused:

3. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

In a Waldstat setup the breaking down of organics in the soil layer is what produces carbon. You do not need to supplement carbon in those setups if done properly.

Liquid carbon supplements also can harm some livestock and melt plants if dosed too liberally.