Liquid carbon (excel, easy carbon, ...) is an algae inhibitor

jake37

I had a discussion in a thread with one of the mods (who?); in which i stated excel was an algae inhibitor and not an effective source of co2; they disagreed. I thought I would post this article which came out today which reinforces my view. Basically aquiarum-cop is talking about liquid carbon in reference to their product easy carbon and notes that good surface agitation is more effective at adding co2 than liquid carbon but liquid carbon is good at suppressing algae.

I thought folks would find this info useful since there is frequently debate on the usefulness of liquid carbon as a means to inject co2.

How to Use Liquid Carbon in Your Planted Aquarium

AvalancheDave

Liquid carbon doesn't add any CO2 but surface agitation probably doesn't add enough CO2 to even come close to making a difference.

I said before that science is not one of Cory's strengths...

Upvote 0

MacZ

Liquid carbon products are only said to add bio-available carbon. Not CO2. That's the first mistake marketing did on many such products.
Anyone who is interested in what the stuff does to non-plant life, google Glutaraldehyde. It's said to be effective against algae, indeed.

I would not use that stuff under any circumstances. I don't do anything against algae anyway.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
toeknee
Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies