lip locking, love or war?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by redlessi, Apr 20, 2010.

1. redlessiWell Known MemberMember

Can anyone tell by my horrible pics if these are the same sex and just fighting :;dkor are they trying to mate?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Sexing angelfish is next to impossible just from pics. Most of the time it doesn't become apparent until they're actually mating (i.e. laying down eggs). As for the fighting, that's what it sounds like to me, but I'm sure others will chime in.

3. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

second pic on top right, looks to be m/f to me..male being on the right...lip locking will happen with both sexes even if they are mating or sparring...as long as there are no injuries, and they have space enough to get away from eachother, you are good....after this bout of sparring , which could last a couple days, if they are going to spawn, you will see them start to clean off some area ...whether it be the filter intake tube, a big leaf, a rock slate etc, they will act like its dirty and peck at it over and over...:)

4. redlessiWell Known MemberMember

They are in the 72 gallon tank so there is plenty of room. The black one is the aggressor most of the time.

They usually spend most of their time together and today this, even now they wont stay separated. They are not hurting each other but I will keep a close eye on them.

I have had them for about 6 months or so and they have really grown as they were little when I got them.

5. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

with my angel pairs, my fems are all the agressors...I think you are doing fine :)

6. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Most likely a case of "are you strong enough to be the mother/father to my babies" :) It's a normal thing angels do before spawning:)
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice