Lionfish

cj82989

Hi

I am new here and I am thinking of setting up a salt water tank. 55G. I read about all the cycles and now I'm thinking of the fish I want. I want to get a lionfish, any1 have any info on them or if its a good idea to get 1 when I'm just starting. I want to get a dwarf lionfish so it will have more room to swim around. is it safe to keep other fish with them with there spines, if so what fish?

atmmachine816

Yes some fish are OK to keep with lionfish but research is needed to determine which one's are safe. A dwarf lionfish would be ok in a 55 and if you do all your research and take your time there's no reason you can't have one for the first time.

sirdarksol

Welcome to fishlore.
Don't know terribly much about lionfish. What I do know is that you are going to want to make sure your tank is set up the way you want it to be before you put the fish in. Make sure you have the aquascaping down just right, make sure your powerheads and everything are all in the right place, etc... because once you put the fish in there, you're not going to want to have to move stuff around. I'd also suggest having a set of heavy duty, elbow-length gloves in case there is some emergency that requires you to reach into the tank.

cj82989

Welcome to fishlore.
Don't know terribly much about lionfish. What I do know is that you are going to want to make sure your tank is set up the way you want it to be before you put the fish in. Make sure you have the aquascaping down just right, make sure your powerheads and everything are all in the right place, etc... because once you put the fish in there, you're not going to want to have to move stuff around. I'd also suggest having a set of heavy duty, elbow-length gloves in case there is some emergency that requires you to reach into the tank.

lol that is smart thinking about the gloves. I plan on having it set up and have the tank running for a little while with some other fish that can deal with first timers mistakes and are more hardy fish that are better off. most things I read say that other fish are safe as long as they can't fit in there mouth, I want to get a dwarf so would a clown fish or something of that size be ok with the dwarf?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• DivingBellSpider
  • Lionfish
Replies
Views
NC122606
Replies
Views
CanadianFishFan
Replies
Views
sirdarksol