90 Gallon Tank Lionfish tank

kammeraad

so we bought a 90 gal tank on facebook and hubby is talking about putting son's favorite fish (lionfish) in it what would be good tank mates
can we do slate as a substrate with sand in the cracks? would regular aquarium decor last long?
stock list right now
- 1 lionfish
- 1 tang
- 1 longnose butterfly
- 1 chocolate chip sea star
he doesn't want to do coral so it would be fo or fowlr

Ghelfaire

People usually use live rocks in saltwater aquariums, not sure if slate would make a huge difference. I just know live rock is porous so it can host more beneficial bacteria.

What species of tang were you thinking?

Upvote 0

kammeraad

People usually use live rocks in saltwater aquariums, not sure if slate would make a huge difference. I just know live rock is porous so it can host more beneficial bacteria.

What species of tang were you thinking?
[/QUOTE
we were thinking paving the bottom with slate instead of bare bottom
Had not decided on a trigger fish yet not super expensive I know "dory" is probably out because needs slot of room for swimming

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

so we bought a 90 gal tank on facebook and hubby is talking about putting son's favorite fish (lionfish) in it what would be good tank mates
can we do slate as a substrate with sand in the cracks? would regular aquarium decor last long?
stock list right now
- 1 lionfish
- 1 tang
- 1 longnose butterfly
- 1 chocolate chip sea star
he doesn't want to do coral so it would be fo or fowlr

Longnose Butterflyfish might be bullied by the Tang as Tangs tend to be aggressive towards slimmer profile fish. Larger more aggressive fish would be well suited to that tank. A fun one could be a Blue Headed Wrasse. They are gorgeous but you should probably add it last and don't get one that is too young/small. Anything that will fit into the lionfish's mouth=Food. A Dwarf Lionfish would be the way to go for that size of a tank (regular lionfish get really big), but there are some really cool options for Dwarf Lionfish (ie Fu Manchu Dwarf Lionfish, Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish).

Be aware that any inverts will be on the menu so that starfish might not work out with that sort of setup. For Tangs I would stick to the Bristletooth varieties (ie Kole, Tomini) as they stay a bit smaller and would be better suited to that size of a tank long term.

Upvote 0

kammeraad

- 2+ Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish
- 2 Frogfish or snowflake eel
clean up crew?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hairalgae
Replies
Views