Link Between Guppy Strains and Behavior/Physical Health ?

Kevinthebreeder

Do certain types of guppies have specific behavioral traits or health issues ? From what I read, Black Moscow females give birth more rapidly than most types of guppies and it seems my red grass and blue grass tend to be give birth more than the other guppies. Some professional guppy breeders in my country say that platinum red tail big ear is the most hardy strain. I know that larger tailed guppies have higher risk of fin rot and fin nip. Albinos are supposedly more delicate against the sunlight but receive more vitamin D and other benefits from the indoor light.

emeraldking

Well yes, there are differences in weakness and other traits between the several guppy strains. That has always been this way.

Upvote 0

Kevinthebreeder

Well yes, there are differences in weakness and other traits between the several guppy strains. That has always been this way.

From your experience, what are are the most hardy strains and what are the most delicate ones ?

Upvote 0

emeraldking

From your experience, what are are the most hardy strains and what are the most delicate ones ?
How larger the fins the more delicate they become. The story about albinos: Ocular albinos (only albinism in the eyes but not skin) are hardier than oculocutane albinos (albinism in the eyes and skin). But all albinos are more sensitive for light than black eyed fish.
Short finned guppies are hardier in comparison to large finned guppies.

Just be sure that when you choose a large finned strain that the body (of both sexes) is ferm build. For slender body while large finned may bend the body at some point. Which makes it harder for the guppy to swim and will result in a shorter life for it's too exhausting to move around with large finnage.

Short bodied guppies wil have a shorter lifespan as well. These are also known as balloon guppies (same thing with balloon mollies).

Also crowntail guppies don't last very long. But has got to do with the finnage while swimming. Water will flow through the open gaps of the finnage, which makes it more exhausting to move through the water.

It's hard to say which strain is the hardiest and which one is the weakest. I would pay more attention on their physics to see wether they're strong or not.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
houiej
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • UnknownGuppyLover
  • Guppy
Replies
Views