Limestone in tank?

lunanightlock

I know limestone is safe for aquariums but I was wondering if it would be safe for my aquarium? The range I need my parameters at is 6-8 pH with 5-15 dH my current water parameters (there’s no fish or plants in it currently) are 7.5 pH and 120 for both the GH and the KH. I was wondering if putting the rocks in would cause problems

Salem

I would worry about it pushing the pH over 8. Even a small amount can cause both hardness and pH to spike very quickly.
Since there isn't anything in it at the moment you could definitely experiment with things though, so it's worth a shot just to see how much things change.

Upvote 0

A201

My 120 gal. has approx. 200 lbs. of limestone in it & my 65 gal. has about 50 lbs. The PH stays locked at 8.2.
You probably can expect a similar result.
I've successfully raised Discus & many other soft water loving fish in it with no problems.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I have to think limestone much like crushed coral will raise it so much and no more. How much it raises it depends on the chemistry of your water. Like Salem mentioned, since you have no fish in this tank experimenting shouldn't cause a problem.

Upvote 0

A201

Years ago when I was researching Texas Holey Rock on line, a Holey Rock vendor listed the probable PH level, with the addition of limestone, to be no more than 8.3. That proved true in my case.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
40 Gallon Tank GH KH PH
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Jennie2021
Replies
Views