Lime Green Tetras

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was at the LFS the other day, and I saw some amazing tetras. They were labled as lime green tetra, they looked like a cross between a black neon tetra and a neon green rasbora. I asked the owner about them and he said they were hemigrammus lunatus. I have spent a few days googling, but can't find much on them. I do suspect they may actually be hyphessobrycon peruvianus (they certainly look like the pictures on the internet). Sadly there is hardly any information about either tetra.

Has anyone kept lime green tetras? If yes, what are their requirements?

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I were throwing darts at this one, I would say use the same water parameters as most other species of tetra, and keep in groups of 5+. I'm not familiar with this fish either, but I am pretty sure tetra mostly/all come from the Amazon rivers and its tributaries. Perhaps you'll have luck by researching point of origin, and trying to mimic those conditions?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The photo on Fishbase doesn't look very green, but then common names are often more imaginative than descriptive. Habitat description on Fishbase suggests that it would be a very adaptable species, as it is widespread and lives in white water rivers and associated flood plains. I'd try temperature in the mid to upper 70s F. I think I've seen the fish occasionally as bycatch, but never actually kept any.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom