LilMan's First Trip to LFS

Discussion in 'LilMan' started by LilMan, May 27, 2009.

1. LilManValued MemberMember

Alright, hello everyone. Today I took my first trip to my LFS. It is about 6x better than the LPS (PetCo & PetSmart). I spent almost in hour in the place just looking, and let me say it is not a big store.

So what did I find? Well I found that the kit I bought at PetCo was $30 cheaper here.. :(, they had Prime and TSS ($8 less than what I just paid on Dr F&S). The fish in the tanks looked pretty healthy, they would swim to my hand when I put it near the glass. Their bettas are not in cups, but small bowls with open tops. They looked healthy and I wanted one, but my dad said we can't have another tank until he sees this one is off the ground.

I decided on this tank (29 gallons):
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    3 Cory Cats
    3 Guppies
    6 Neon Tetras

They have all of these, and not bad prices (except the $10 flame gourami) :-/

Ill have more info about my tank, and pictures, on another thread soon. The stand is drying from the stain and the supplies are on their way from Drs. F&S. I still need to decide on the gravel and buy the background and then I should be ready to set up the tank. Then I can get the fish and plants :;toast

So. Which fish should I use while cycling with TSS? I know I need to add all 6 neons at once so should it be those?

Thanks for reading my :;tmi

2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

I can't say exactly which fish to use with the TSS but I wouldn't use Neon's. Neon's should actually go into a well established tank in my opinion.

Congrats on the new set up! Will be looking forward to pictures once you get it up and running.

3. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I totally agree with aquarist about the neons. They would not be my first choice for a new tank, even with TSS. Same goes for the cory cats. Honestly, in my experience the guppies and DG aren't really that hardy either so I'd be tempted to dose the TSS and then use pure ammonia to feed the bacteria just to make absolutely sure the tank cycles before you add any of your stock list. Then I'd do a massive water change before adding fish, and I'd stock slowly. Just my opinion though.

For the background, have you considered just painting the back of the tank? I've painted black backgrounds on several tanks, and IMO it looks a lot better than the tape-on backgrounds. Krylon Fusion works well if you decide to try it. :)

4. LilManValued MemberMember

Hmm... Ill think about the ammonia, I dont have an Ace Hardware here so...

As for the background I like the ones that show plants.. If it doesnt stick well I guess I will have to find some seaview.

5. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Oh, ok. I used one of those for a while but then decided I prefer black. I've heard of people using vegetable oil, but I've heard from others that it can be a real mess so I've never tried it. Overall I've heard good reviews of Seaview, but I tend to just tape on backgrounds if I don't paint them on.

6. LilManValued MemberMember

Alright. Got the background on (with seaview, cus they had it at PetCo). Put the gravel in. It looks good. Ill try to take a picture after while.

Anyway. Could I possible use Corys with TSS? Will they produce enough Ammonia? If not could I use just fish food, and how much to put in the tank each day.

And what would I feed the types of fish I want to get?

7. MissMTSFishlore VIPMember

I think the cories would be fine with the TSS. I don't think any of our members have lost fish while using TSS. Good luck with the new tank and I can't wait to see pics :)

8. LilManValued MemberMember

Thanks. Our good camera is broken right now so I have to wait to use my sister's.

My DFS order is scheduled to come in June 4, I ordered it on the 27th :( I cant wait!!