Lilies

Lorli

The lily bulbs I planted in the aquarium have really taken off and there are many large leaves on the water surface. Now that it is mature, will it bloom? I haven't cut the leaves off because I keep hoping it will bloom.

Has anyone had one bloom in the tank? Are they related to the water lilies you see on ponds?

Also - how should they be trimmed? Cut the mature leaves off at the base?

MacZ

The lily bulbs I planted in the aquarium have really taken off and there are many large leaves on the water surface. Now that it is mature, will it bloom? I haven't cut the leaves off because I keep hoping it will bloom.

Has anyone had one bloom in the tank? Are they related to the water lilies you see on ponds?

Also - how should they be trimmed? Cut the mature leaves off at the base?

Blooming can be triggered by light intensity and duration and water and air temperature temperature as well as nutrient levels. Can't tell you the exact parameters how to make them bloom, without the species.

They are related to those you find in ponds, sometimes they're the same species. Most are Nymphea (actual water lilies) or Nymphoides (false water lilies). And yes, cut them low, otherwise the leftover stem will rot away impacting water quality.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Question
Replies
Views
The2dCour
  • Question
Replies