Lilaeopsis?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by JoeBK, Jul 21, 2017.

1. JoeBKNew MemberMember

Does anyone have any opinions about lilaeopsis? I'm trying to carpet my tank quickly. Has anyone used it before? Is it a nice looking plant? Do small fish like it? (Cherry Barbs, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, etc.)

2. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Good question, I was thinking about getting some myself to try to carpet a tank. Lets see what the experts say: @ashenwelt, @Jocelyn Adelman , @Zahc , anyone else in the know :)

3. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

So quick and carpet are terms you should not mix. Any carpet is used more by shrimp than small fish but micro fish will use it.

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis can carpet but a good carpet needs CO2 and high light. It can grow easily... carpet is just different.

4. Zahc

ZahcWell Known MemberMember

I actually recently put in a tiny amount of Lilaeopsis in my 75g lowtech to see how it goes. It's literally been in my tank for 2 weeks at most, so I can't give a good/accurate judgement on how it grows, and majority of it keeps being pulled out of the substrate by my L270 and Corydoras anyway. It is very pretty though imo, which is why I wanted to try it.

The plants that have remained buried, haven't melted, or grown. I'm really hoping to get some new growth/shoots from them soon though, but time will tell, I could be waiting months haha.

As with all carpeting plants, most people seem to have issues if your not pumping in very high light and C02, but I have came across a few threads/people, successfully growing this plant in a low tech environment, though growth will be tremendously slow.

5. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

I think it is one of the prettiest myself, the tank I want to put it in is 24 inches deep and only has 1 Finnex 24/7 SE - so probably not enough to even live let alone carpet. I'm thinking about getting another of the same strip-light ( doubling up) but then I think it may be too much light in the absence of Co2.

6. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Agree with @ahsenwelt. Micro swords don't always fill in nicely without co2. Dwarf sag is another option.... as well as one of the marsileas (grow very slow) or even hydrocotyle 'Japan'. Fastest would probably be the dwarf sag.

Realistically though all would depend on your lighting and ferts....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice