Likely injury, Will my mystery recover?

Mhamilton0911

20210502_120101.jpg

My mystery snails have been pretty closed up in my big tank for a while now, and the other day I grabbed one for a sniff test and it was dead. This one here I grabbed to see if it's alive, and it was, so i put him/ her in my shrimp tank and I discover what appears to be an injury. Will this snail recover from this? I suspect it was a bristlenose pleco that caused this. They are a little rough with the snails and I see empty ramshorns shells often so I think they're snacking on snail. :( I'm bummed out, these are really pretty magenta mystery snails I had shipped in.

mattgirl

I wish I could answer your question. I am just sad to hear your snail got hurt. Who would have ever thought we could get so attached to snails. I know I would be broken hearted if something like this happened to Miss Sneller. I really hope this one will heal.

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

Well my poor mystery is still alive. Zero activity though. It's been hanging on the glass near the water edge, I'm guessing to breathe easy. So yesterday I floated a cup with a small amount of water and a tiny fragment of algae wafer. I could see that the snail was having trouble getting to the food, you could see it was stretching out trying to reach it, and a healthy snail would have flipped right over, but this one seems to have issues controlling the trapdoor flap. Poor thing. I feel so bad.
I gently held the snail in the upright position until it felt confidant to try to come out again, and was able to sit and eat right side up. This morning the wafer was completely gone so that made me happy. I just placed it back in the tank, at the water line. I do see some poo being ejected too so I'm hoping for a recovery.

This morning

20210505_072825.jpg

Yesterday I placed another next to it for comparison.

20210503_092936.jpg

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I am pulling for this little guy. Hopefully it will learn how to control its movements and floating ability even with part of the foot gone. Even better would be if it will re-grow but I don't know if something like that is possible.

I am constantly amazed at how they can float and then gently let themselves down instead of just falling. Miss Sneller can graze on the roots of my frogbit without pulling the plant down at all. Or eat off a leaf without bending it. They look so big and heavy you would expect the leaf to bend down to the bottom.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
kylequat
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Mystery Snail Fight?
  • KayMayJay