Like a pinball machine

1. Riverwolf

Riverwolf New Member Member

Hello all,
    So I stopped by my daughters house yesterday, she has a 29 gallon fresh water tank. I was amazed by the action/movement of the whole tank. Like watching a pinball machine, multiple games of table tennis going at the same time. I have a 20 gallon long, cycled with 10 neon tetras and four agassizi cories. My tank most times looks dead. The cories mostly hide with occasional short bursts, and the neons will just very lazily swim near the bottom and also spend alot of time just hanging out. Is this normal? My water is fine, tests great, looks super clean with just a small amount of the brown common algae. Weekly 25% water exchange using prime. My temp stays steady at 76F. Is this too cold? Would overfeeding make them all lazy?
    Also what super active colorful fish would be happy with the neons and cories?
    My daughter will email me the names and colors of her fish later.
    I really want a few bigger more colorful fish, like in yellows or oranges.
    Thanks for all replies.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, it's normal for corys and neons to be boring fish :) It's got nothing to do with how you are keeping them.

I would add a school of blue eyed rainbows (threafins, celebs, furcatas, gertrudes, etc - the smaller the better. I think one of the species mentioned grows to 3 inches, so avoid that one) and a dwarf cichlid. Because a 20 long is very short, it can't support that many fish.

It's tough though, putting super active fish in small tanks. I think the rainbows will provide a good amount of activity, and the cichlid will help to get the neons and corys moving around the tank more.

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I was thinking of some thread fins as well Jaysee, I also think that something to help the schooling instinct will help also.

If you went to say

5-7 Corys
    7 Neons
    5 Threadfins
    1 Krib or Apisto or Ram

I think you would end up with a great tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Riverwolf

Did I do good? Or did I do bad?
    Went to Petco (first time in that store)
    Forgot my list at home.
    Store employee is on day #2.
    So, I came home with-
    2 male Zebra Danios
    2 male Gold Twinbar Platys

5. Jaysee

Sorry, you get a thumbs down for that purchase :) You could keep the platys, but I would return the danios. So just one thumb down.

6. OP
    OP
    Riverwolf

Why return the danios?

7. Jaysee

Because they are too active for a small tank. I know it's 30 inches long, but it's only effectively 9 inches tall so there's no separation for their maniacal behavior.

8. OP
    OP
    Riverwolf

Yes, but do they know that?

9. Jaysee

Do they know what?

10. OP
    OP
    Riverwolf

That's what I said.
    Do they know the tank is small for their manical behavior?
    They are very much the pinballs I was looking for.
    I could put a mirror in back and they would think it was a 40 gallon! :)

11. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

If only that idea worked...I could have so many more fish XD

I've had a fish in too small of a tank (a pictus catfish in a 10 gallon, before I knew that they needed more room and a school). It was kind of sad, he would swim up and down and up and down the wall, like he was trying to find a way out. I'm sure the danios would add the excitement you're looking for, but it would be at their expense, because they wouldn't be happy in that size of a tank.

12. OP
    OP
    Riverwolf

Well, rats!

13. Jaysee

The problem is their behavior can stress out other fish. It's one thing if it's happening several inches overhead....it's another if it's happening all around them.

Sorry, I forgot what fish you had. I think they are worth a shot in the tank, but I would get some more to keep them occupied with themselves.

14. Brainlady

Brainlady Well Known Member Member

Zebra Danios are considered to be Dither Fish. They need space, lots of it. I have them in a 120 gallon tank and they zoom around from one end to another. Putting them in a small tank is not right for this species. I even get exhausted trying to watch them.....