Lights

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Fishygirl1219, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Fishygirl1219

Fishygirl1219 Valued Member Member

So now that I've got my saltwater tank set up what kind of lights do I need to grow corals and things like that I have a 10 gal setup ...Thanks for any help

2. seabear

seabear Valued Member Member

10 gal is pretty small for saltwater

3. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I cant find 1 i like, its such a struggle getting equipment suitable for a nano reef setup. Im looking in to lights with more power now for my corals as i only have a 6 watt. The main struggle im having is finding one that has a good mounting system i have a 15 gal.

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

5. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a hang on the back filter so i either need a light that mounts the same as this one does or resort to making a wall mount because i have seen one i want. [​IMG]

6. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

To everyone on this thread.

Here's a good compact light for smaller nano tanks. This one comes with the gooseneck to mount on the rim/rimless of your tank.
    Amazon.com : Kessil Tuna Blue A80 LED Light w/ mini gooseneck : Pet Supplies

From my own personal experience.
    I transitioned from Freshwater to Saltwater and tried re-using lights for my reef set-up. It only works if you have extremely low-light demanding corals (this is based upon that the depth of your tank is 12") If your tank is deeper you need a better light to penetrate to the bottom of the tank, otherwise the corals will get nearly no PAR and it does not work.
    When you step into intermediate corals you will want a solid light otherwise your corals simply won't thrive. Yes, it will survive, but not thrive.
    My advice is to not skimp on the light and get a good one right out of the gate, so you don't have to re-buy. I learned this the hard way.

Other lights that are good for nano tanks >20 gallons:
    AI Prime HD
    Nanobox
    Aquamaxx Nemo Light.

I am currently using a Current Marine Orbit LED light and it's just okay... I don't see it handling anything more than LPS corals, especially now that I have it on a mounting bracket (this increased the distance from the light to the water by 5", which means less PAR being distributed to corals underneath). Like I said, I spent $130 on this and all I can say is... it's okay for beginners.

7. HDavid

HDavid Valued Member Member

I always preferred t5 lighting because it's cheaper and easier to replace burnt bulbs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice