Lights That Will Attach To Aqua Culture Hood

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,
I am in the process of setting up a 55g Aqua Culture aquarium that comes with the plastic hood with LED's. I am planning on growing some Anubias Nana, Dwarf Sagittaria, and America Jungle Vallisneria. I chose plants that are not supposed to need a lot of lighting, but I am concerned I need to add some. I am not concerned with a lot of growth, I just want the plants to stay alive. I am hoping to find something inexpensive I could attach to the bottom of the plastic hood that already has the LED's as I do not want to have to replace the hood as well. Would the little LED submersible strips with suction cups that I see available work? I could attach a couple to the bottom of my hood. Thanks for your help.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately, with a hood you're rather limited. Those LED strips aren't that strong or good for plants either. Is there no way you'd consider getting glass lids? Even an egg crate lid would be fine, and it's cheap.

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not too familiar with the glass tops. There would still be room for two HOB filters on the back? Do you know where I could find the least expensive possible? It's a 48" length aquarium with a frame and a middle bracket. So it uses two hoods where each one fits on the side of the middle support bar.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes. The aquarium-specific glass tops have a plastic strip in the back that you cut spaces into to fit your filters.

I think the Versa tops are some of the cheapest. Check online, or see if they're on sale at your local LFS or chain store.

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was looking online at Versa tops, they do seem to be the cheapest. However the issue I think I may have is they seem specifically designed to fit Aqueon aquariums. Looking at the feedback a lot of buyers said it was too long to sit in the frame of other brands. So will have to keep looking.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can measure your tank and the lip where the lid would sit to see how it would fit. It would also be easy to add glass strips (super cheap from Lowe's) so that the lid would fit well on your tank.

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I measured and the versa will not fit. Looks like marineland/perfecto will. A little more but will probably go for it. Thanks for the info about strips from a hardware store just in case I need to add them as well.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Adding glass strips can make the Versa fit - I've done it myself. But if it's easier/preferred to get the Perfecto instead, great! I really like the glass lids over other kinds.

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So when I have my glass hood does anyone have a good light recommendation for the plants I will be having, ( Nana, Dwarf Sagittaria, and America Jungle Vallisneria). This is for a 55g, 48'' long with a middle brace. I chose relatively low light plants as I am trying to keep this as inexpensive / low tech as possible for lights, but do want LED as they will save in the long run. I don't need anything fancy though.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really like the Finnex lights, though they're more expensive. A Stingray would work well for what you want.

Beamsworks (I think the EAs?) are also good, and cheap.

Alternatively, you can use fixtures from a hardware store and use LED bulbs of the appropriate light temperature in them.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Attachments

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the pics Goldiemom. What size are your two aquariums? I also have a 29 gallon, (different brand), just using the hood and have some successful plants. I am just concerned with this 55g as I am planning on it being pretty heavily planned, and the Vallesneria does seem to need at least a fair amount of lighting. I am using it for the whole backdrop so I want to make sure I have enough.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jonathan212 said:
Thank you for the pics Goldiemom. What size are your two aquariums? I also have a 29 gallon, (different brand), just using the hood and have some successful plants. I am just concerned with this 55g as I am planning on it being pretty heavily planned, and the Vallesneria does seem to need at least a fair amount of lighting. I am using it for the whole backdrop so I want to make sure I have enough.
I actually have 3 Aqua Cultures...a 10G, 29g, and 55G. The only one that isn't a AC is my 20 long from Petco.

Mine are also next to a window which may help some.

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you and beautiful tanks...I am still looking around. Will probably still go for a glass top with extra lights as I do like the idea of a glass top as well.

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Regarding the Finnex lights, I was looking at the stingray and also the Finnex Planted +24/7 Fully Automated controller one. That one costs a little more but I think my wife would like some of the features and also the fact that it can just have blue on. I notice that it doesn't have true 660nm red LED's while the stingray does though. Would either of these still work for my plant choices? Thanks

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Either would be fine with your plant choices, though some people have had issues with algae when the 24/7 is left on the 24/7 mode.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom