Lights On Or Off?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Phillip J. Fry, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Phillip J. Fry

Phillip J. Fry New Member Member

Started a fishless cycle today and one question i havent been able to find an answer too.... Lights on or off during a startup cycle? Does it really matter if they are LED lights or does this apply to uv lights?

2. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

i dont think if it makes much of a difference to have the lights on or off during the cycle. im not sure if it matters if they are led or uv

3. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and Fishes Valued Member Member

I agree, it shouldn’t matter whatsoever unless you’re attempting to use a bacteria in a bottle product in which case you’re supposed to keep the lights off during dosing. Otherwise unless you have plants I’d just go with whatever your preference is ;)

4. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

Well, im asking bc the answers ive read from other forums vary
    Some have claimed the light speeds up the process others claim it kills it. Though I havent used tetra safestart yet, the q&a post says uv lights kill their bacteria. Others have posted that they keep theirs on to help hinder brown algae growth. (But idk what lights they were using)

5. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and Fishes Valued Member Member

If you’re using TSS then the light will kill free floating bacteria, in no case will having the light on speed up the process as the bacteria you want do not require light to feed and grow. Also UV or not, you’re bacteria are safe within your filtration so the light won’t harm them once they begin to grow. If there isn’t light in your aquarium no algae will grow, as it requires light to photosynthesize.

6. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

Thats what i figured. But the brown algae though....im confused about that. I read a thread (if I can find it again I'll post it) about someone doing a test on their tank where the brown algae was decreased by his led lights and this link (which i hope post well) claims "proper lighting" is a way to combat it. If that's true or not, what would the problem be if you have it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice