lights on, off, on, and off again

1. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I have a timer for my lights. So that our family is able to enjoy the aquarium, I have it set to come on at 7am, off at 10 am, then on at 5pm, off at 9 pm. This makes it a total of 7 hours of lights on. Is this okay, or does lights-on need to be consecutive hours? The tank gets no direct sunlight, but it is in a room with windows. The windows let in just a little sun during the day, just not directly on the tank.

Thanks for any help!

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

It's not a problem at all. You can have the lights on whenever you have the most time to enjoy your fish, it doesn't have to be for consecutive hours. :)

3. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

if you have plants (depending on the plants) you need at least 10 hrs a day. i don't think the fish will be bothered by the on/off since it is a big time gap. others will have better answers.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

no plants. Thanks guys.

5. speed0factory Member Member

for me, i on the light from 8am to 11 am, then off from 11am to 1 pm, then 1pm to 10pm, then on moonlight from 10pm to 12am.

total of 12 hours of lighting on for plant to do their work, i off it during the afternoon to prevent overheater of the tank, and it's recommened for light to be on for 8 to 12 hours.

It's said that tank should be kept in places without direct sunlight exposure.

if you could on the light for 1 or 2 hours more it would be the best.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

oh okay, i can do that. i didn't realize - just figured it would help there not be algae.

7. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I do from noon to 10pm myself. No live plants but I also heard about that 8-12hrs thing so I went with what works best for me.

8. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I think algae comes from over feeding and direct sunlight its a combination, I have my 125g infront of the window but my ottos and bns need to earn their keep :p.

Hows the fishys doing? I cant wait to see pics!! (sowwy if I missed them)

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks for asking, Diggly.

i haven't posted any photos. I've been sick the last three weeks, can't go to work, can't drive, sit, stand. It's horrible. Some kind of nerve thing, but they can't find what's causing the pain. So my poor fish are being neglected a bit. My husband did a water change about 10 days ago and will do another this weekend for me. And they are being fed, but that's it. I did manage to stand long enough to check the water yesterday. It's still 0,0,5, which is great. But no regular water changes, no daily head counts to make sure everyone's still alive, etc. :(

10. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I am sure they are all ok :) I hope you get better soon and im sorry to hear you arent feeling well.

11. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Since you have no plants, the lights are exactly what you want them for... to view and enjoy your fish. Doesn't matter if they are on for 2 hours or 10. there is enough light in the room during the day to light the tank for the fish.

Brian