Lights lights and more lights. oh boy :) 55 Gallon Tank

1. guthrieb08 Member Member

So i have just recently upgraded my lighting system and i was just trying to get some ideas and opinions on the different lights. I currently have 2 48" t5ho one is a 10000k and the other is 6500k i also saw an actinic light. In your opinions is the 10000k or the 6500k better for a planted tank? I was also wondering if the actinic light had any good effects as well as bad effects on freshwater plants? thanks for any advice.

2. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

The 6500k is ultimately 'better' for plants, but the difference between it and 10000ks isn't so great that I'd make a decision based on that alone. It really depends on what you want it to look like, 10000ks have a much crisper white light, so some people opt for a blend of both. I wouldn't bother with actinics, they could grow plants but you'd be better off closer towards daylight.

3. guthrieb08 Member Member

ok thats what i was thinking i like the way it looks with the 6500 and the 10000 together i was just wondering if one was better than the other. thanks for the information.

4. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

I have had better results in my aquariums with bulbs 5400k - 10k are fine for plants . I personally run 2 6700k bulbs and 2 10k bulbs. The 10ks make the fish brighter IMO