Lights good for plants.

1. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Or would a setup like this be better?
    [​IMG]

3. Grimund Well Known Member Member

There's a few things about lighting and they apply to all lighting types. It comes down to research in the end. LED are fine to use.

Color temperature- measured in Kelvin as K. It's the band of light spectrum in its output. Plants require around 6500K to grow. Higher temps have more blue and less red, like most marine and office lights, generally 10,000K. It's quite easy to find online or on the box somewhere.

Lumens- the intensity of the light, how bright it actually is. Higher lumen leads to more light on the bottom of the tank.

Watts- how much energy the light uses from the outlet. More watts generally leads to more lumens, which lead to the watts per gallon guideline.

PAR- Photo Activating Radiation, current measurement for lighting. PAR values indicate the lighting for the plants. These can be obtained by googling the light fixture and PAR ratin. It's a much better guideline than the Watts per Gallon. Ideally, the 30-40 PAR range at the substrate is the best for low light to medium light plants, and those are the numbers to shoot for a non CO2 injected tank.

I would recommend a glass lid you can find online, or possibly having a hardware store cut a piece or two of acrylic/glass.

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Thank you so much for that nice explanation!!! That helps a lot.

I like the idea of the glass lid, but I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what I need to buy to set up the lights, and what costs I'm probably looking at, ect.

EDIT: If I understand correctly, I can get a glass hood, and a fluorescent strip light, and place it on the glass hood?

5. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I got a 20" Finnex Stingray LED light for my 10g low tech planted shrimp tank I'm setting up. I also have that versa-top glass lid.

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Any opinion on fluorescent versus LED? I was just looking at a Fluorescent hood and the kinds of bulbs on the market.

7. Grimund Well Known Member Member

You're better off just using the LED light over the glass. It would sit about an inch over it and not kick off lots of heat. LED aquarium lights are designed to sit on the rim of the tank, not the lid itself.

Florescent lights do generate a bit of heat from the fixture and, with it directly on the lid, you could over heat your tank. The lid would prevent air circulation to cool the tank.

Edit: I prefer LED. Cheaper in the long run as you don't need to replace the bulbs and uses quite a bit less energy. Not to mention there are a few adjustable lights out there to set for your own needs. The Finnex Planted Plus comes to mind, but it's not the only light out there that does that.

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Thank you! I will most likely go with the Finnex and Glass Hood!!

9. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I edited my post while you replied

10. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Woof, I'd love that Finnex Planted+ but, I probably will opt for the stingray and glass top. My needs are not too high. I don't plan on growing any really difficult plants and my 10g tank isn't very deep so it should thoroughly light. (I assume it'll be way better than my little LEDs that came with the tank kit)

I shall post back to this with results.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your posts!

11. Geoff Well Known Member Member

Exactly why I got the stingray.

12. Willhelm Initiate Member

Sorry for hitchhiking the post. But would like to ask some question regarding the Finnex Stingray.

I saw a video demonstrating it on a 20 inch high tank. It had 30 PAR and mine is 10 inch. Would the PAR double for me or the calculations would be different?

13. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Best information I've found so far is around 30-32 PAR at 12". No one seems to have the same results as the video. Been cruising the Web for you and that's the consensus.

14. Willhelm Initiate Member

Appreciate your efforts very much. Thank you! :D

15. Grimund Well Known Member Member

No problem. I'm researching things for planted tanks myself

16. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I got the stingray and a glass top. The lighting appears a lot better, will update later about any improvements with plant growth.
    [​IMG]
    I also noticed that the colors of the critters come out a little more than with the dinky LEDs

17. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Looks pretty sweet. Hoping it works out well for you