Lights... Camera... ?

Discussion in 'Everythingzen' started by Everythingzen, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Well, almost camera. Hopefully this weekend we will have the new charger. I was going to buy it today but the petbarn gods smiled on me and today they not only got in my new light fixture, but they had a massive 20% off everything. So the battery charger has to wait. I would say this weekend, but we're laying the new floor this weekend, and I did want to get paint, and I do need to do a more thorough filter clean and replace some media... oh, and there's that uni assignment... Ugh!

Anyway, I have light. It's not the awesome light I wanted but it will certainly do a fine job in the meantime. It's a T8 2 x 18w. I'm slowly getting there. The list is long and I'm like a kid at Christmas. This fish keeping biz is infectious and somewhat with a mind of it's own. 6 months ago this was us rescuing an unwanted panchchax. Now we have 4 tanks. 3 tanks don't have fish. 1 is the hospital tank, 1 has the crabs, and one is storage for assorted tank tools. It seems as though the last crab has dropped off it's mortal coil as of some time today. I'm kinda annoyed and sad at the same time. Annoyed because these crabs have had everything but just don't survive molting here. I was playng with our remaining one last night when I fed and watered him. He seemed ok. Perhaps more mobile than recent times, if anything, but he was climbing about the place. I think we will abandon crab keeping for a while now. I'm hoping it's big enough to now becomes a Cory tank. It's 57 litres. Not sure what that is in gallons. Maybe 16 or so? Hmmm. There is still so much to learn. I've got a thousand questions still on virtually every aspect of fish keeping ranging from the heater to whether I have too many airstones in the tank. It seems awfully tidal in my tank. I just have one 15cm approx curtain and a single outlet shoved in an old ruin ornament - sort of a DIY air ornament, lol. But it still seems like some of the fish, especially the little barbs, are always working against a current. I dunno. And my heater, it's a single 100w. Sizewise it's fine, but should I have a back up heater? Should it be turned on? What wattage for a back up? 100 or something smaller so it doesn't get too hot? Should I have had 2 x 50w instead? Then there's food. I've got frozen blood worms, regular flakes and now dried baby shrimp. Is that good enough? I know the rule for feeding is 2 minutes, but mine are pigs. They eat in less than a few minutes. Things are so stable, except for a few issues with excess nitrate, but overall it's going so well now. Got some pics with the awful iPhone camera, but they'll have to do. I'll do some proper ones once I do the big maintenance and rearranging, and give it a good spruce up.

This will be good, tracking progress in here! So exciting...
    :D

2. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Thanks for sharing. I've wanted a blue cray for some time myself. I only have one 100w heater w/ backups in the closet. I watch my temp daily when checking on fish. I use frozen food assortment packs. They contain 4 flavors so my fish get a varied diet and I don't have to think too hard LOL. Airstones are optional depending on fish and preference. I don't use in my planted tanks. Agree, fish keeping is contagious.

3. Danni

DanniWell Known MemberMember

Nice fish...:)

You might have too much bubble action going on. Angels prefer a more calm environment- they aren't big bubble fans.
    You want your fish to use their energy to grow, not fighting off current. Maybe you can take some of the bubbleage out and leave a bit. Your canister should give you enough current.
    Your food looks ok, I would maybe add a quality pellet into your rotation, the Angels and Gourami would appreciate that.
    Other than that, your looking great. :)

4. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Thanks guys! I'll take out the long airstone and get ahold of some pellets then. I think I actually have some from when Happy came to stay.
    Is this blue cray a light of some sort, psalm? I'll go googling now, lol.

A sort of whole tank attempt shot.. Definitely over-bubbled, lol.

5. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

A blue crayfish, sorry. It's like a crab or lobster to be more precise.

6. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

I wondered if you meant crayfish :D very cool. What would you house it with?

7. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

So this weekend has passed with no progress at all on any of the tanks, nor did I get any more done on my fish encyclopaedia. I also didn't get any research done for uni, nor did any of the new floor make it down... I now have a completely new pool deck and have supplied numerous neighbours with firewood and have the carport cleared so the car is at least back where it belongs. The outside of the house has really come along. The Easter and ANZAC long weekend we will hopefully have the new floor laid and an then do a final measure of the kitchen and so on, etc, ad nauseum. Renovations just never end...

.... Much like plans for fishtanks :D the fish are SO much happier without the stones. I can't believe it. I really need to give it a good vacuum and get a filter running on the old crabby tank (once it is thoroughly cleaned!) so that some old media can seed the crab tank and the big tank can get a bit of new media, as well as perhaps replacing some in the hospital tank. It's musical media in the tanks, lol. In part of the big garden clean up, we pulled out a massive amount of bamboo. we'll be ripping out bamboo for years. That stuff is noxious! But it gave me an idea, kinda borrowed from the person who has the Asian temple set up for for their betta called Felix. I can't remember who's tank it is. I hope they don't mind me using that theme in some way. I don't know about what kind of tank deco corys especially love, but if it can work, I'll try it! Then there's what to do about a betta tank. Maybe it would be better to set up the betta first and get that one seeding before the corys and maybe just do them later in the year. Hmm. That tank doesn't have a lit though. Do betta require lids? So much to ponder...!

8. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

I wish there was more to update with today, but things are always too busy. Plus, I'm haing serious doubts about my ability to keep healthy fish. I just started a thread on the bully angel who is picking on happy (the panchax) a lot more recently. They didn't do this previously. Has something changed? It again reminds me that there is still so much I do not know about fish. Then there's nelix, the new betta. He's been a little listless today. There was a small amount of ammonia in the tank yesterday so I changed half his water and vacuumed as much debris as I could and double dosed him on prime. He still approaches me when I go to the tank and eats well but he's been hanging about the bottom of the tank. I did add a new live plant the other day... Maybe he doesn't like it? I also added more plants to the community tank. I have to get rid of the mass of nitrates. It's so frustrating. I got pennywort, baby tears and some plant which I can never remember the name of. The stricta is still doing well. I might drop in a dose of fert. At least something is going right in one tank at least.

Most significant change is that I managed to sand the new cabinet and give it a coat of cabots. It looks great. I wish I knew what type of wood it is. Maybe
    oak? It's so heavy. I have to still get under the house and check where the
    piers are. I have my fingers crossed tha there is one where I want to put the
    cabinet and community tank after the floor is done. I'll get photos soon. Maybe just when it's all done. I still don't have the charger for the camera. Sigh.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  9. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

I think I've made the fates mad about something... This week has been pretty rubbish and it's only Tuesday! The car battery died this morning so the kids couldn't go to the park. Instead they rode their bikes on the driveway, which usually is no drama at all. Except today I had the empty spare tank out there and there was a crash and there was broken glass and a 2 year old who had no idea of what the fuss was all about, telling me that yes he did it and no thanks, he didn't want to be in trouble, mum. Grrrr! I don't even want to know what a new one would cost. This was given to me by the family who got me into this whole fish thing and it was a fabulous tank. I had such great plans for it. It was going to be a real decor thing. And it was in such fine condition. I'm so crushed. I'm not cranky, just a little sad that every little thing is going wrong currently. And it's not just me. Everywhere I look, people are just having hassles with anything and everything. Sigh.

I wonder, is it easy or even possible to replace a panel on a tank? Can a silicone seal really be trusted? I spose if it's a wet area silicone, or one for any marine job it should suffice. As long as it's nothing toxic then perhaps.... Maybe I'll not retire it to the bin just yet. It's not a moulded tank anyway, it's panels sealed to give it form, hmmm. And if I can find a good sealant then I can also play with that stone cave idea I originally tossed around. I had an idea to get ahold of some nice smooth river pebbles and spot glue them together to make a rough kind if cave. I was initially thinking a hot glue gun but hadn't researched hot glue and it's suitability for water. Or even if hot glue would adhere to natural stone. You know, maybe I will soldier on. The fates can bugger off, lol. No run if bad luck is going to dictate to me what I do or do not do! Yeah, I'll dig out the tank and see what is salvageable. We'll see.

10. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

I'm going to keep babbling for a bit, lol. I need to give my glass guy a call anyway to get him to whip me up a centre support for the big tank, so I'll also measure up at least 1, maybe a 2nd, panel on this broken one and I will fix it, . Yes. I'll ring my glass dude and he'll fix this up much cheaper than any new tank. I just don't have the cash for any new tank and it will be much more satisfying knowing I salvaged a ruin.

So, step 1 is now fix the tank. Then I need to track down a standard 60cm light, get to the pool shop for sand, seed some media, and get playing with the stones. This might turn into quite a good project after all! I'll get to pictures of the new stand and the broken tank tomorrow.

11. Danni

DanniWell Known MemberMember

Firstly, hang in there. It says you just started. Keeping an enclosed aquatic environment isn't easy and believe me, we all have our days. :)

How new is your Betta? It's possible that he is still adjusting and a wee bit stressed from the ammonia you found- Prime will keep him safe. If he is still eating and looks normal, I wouldn't sweat that. If you can maybe cut the photoperiod for your plants a little, he will be less stressed in the dark and you can judge his behavior a little better.

Are both of the Angels picking on Happy or just one? I really think it's one of two things- Happy keeps invading their territory and they don't like it or they are going to be mating and may see Happy as a threat or a combination of both.

If both Angels are doing it- IMO they could be pairing up and maturing. Angels get more tempermental as they mature but some just have an aggressive nature while others are more passive. In my experience, males are generally more aggressive until eggs are laid and then the female will join the aggression. This is why it's usually easier (if you don't have a way to seperate) to have a single angel- then they aren't too much of a problem.

You can try to chase the aggressor with a net for a few seconds when he acts up, you can try to remove him to a bucket for a couple of hours- rearrange your tank and put him back in so the territory is messed up or you can remove him to another tank for a week and then rearrange and reintroduce (this usually works). Then if those don't work, you just might have an aggressive fish on your hands which happens as well.
    In which case- try to rehome it to restore peace back to your tank.
    Remember- if angels feel cramped or threatened in any way- they will pick on the offender.

I don't really think your doing anything wrong- in fact the opposite. You just have a bruiser in your tank or possibly a mating pair.

I will say though if an Angel kills another fish (it has never happened to me) then absolutely rehome it.

Seriously- hang in there- your doing fine.
    Oh and if a tank is resealed right- it holds water. :) I just did a 100g, it's nice when you can salvage something!

12. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Thanks for your help, danni!
    I took your advice with the betta and left his lights off today. He is definitely more his usual self. I've had him for about 2 weeks I think. I didn't think of him being stressed still from his arrival. He's a sweet fish. His appetite was very much back to normal today with him scoffing it all and then begging every time I went near him. He stayed up the top if his plant and it somehow seemed like an improvement, as opposed to the last 2 days with him hiding at the bottom - plus I don't like him being far from the surface in case he can't get to the top easily for air. I'll keep his lights off tomorrow and see how he goes. The ammonia is virtually zero but there was a very slight green tinge, so I won't say it is 0 yet.

As for Happy, it is just one of the angels that harass him. I've got the spare tank seeding, so hopefully I can move him by tomorrow. Happy is definitely looking a bit stressed. He's darting about and very jerky. He's usually so placid. I can't see any damage but there is lots of splashing about and I fear he is trying to jump as I often hear a thump on the lid. I'm going to move the angel and definitely do a rearrange. I put in pennywort 2 week ago and it is already sprouting those thin roots down toward the gravel. I put in some fertiliser and hopefully my rearranging won't upset their establishment too much. A combination of the stricta, vallisneria, pennywort and purple waffle should get a wall down the middle and hopefully peace can be restored.

Fingers crossed tomorrow will see the angel moved and nelix all relaxed. Thanks too, Danni, for your words of encouragement. it's been a big help. I know I can do this! And it will get easier as time goes on. I won't be a clumsy, doubtful learner forever!
    :)

13. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

I am going to have a driftwood addiction. And lava rock. It's all so very appealing. I thought MTS was a bit of a joke around here, but it's not! It's real! I'll be updating the pictures over the weekend... Or not, if I do some uni work. Oops, lol.