Lightning For A 110 Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Nate3544, Apr 25, 2018.

1. N

Nate3544 New Member Member

So I am setting up a new 110 gallon planted tank and need to buy new lighting. I was wondering what are the some of best lighting options. I don’t really want to spent $200 just on lights but the 110 is 27’’ tall and I was worrying that the cheaper lights would be to weak for the plants.
    Thanks

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Finnex is one of the better brands if your looking for something affordable also. I've used and recommend the Finnex FugeRay Planted light. However, i've wasted alot of money getting stuff that would work but isn't the best. I advise you to save up and really get the the best light out their if your going high tech planted. For this, i recommend twinstar's lights.

3. OP
    OP
    N

How are the Finnex stingray lights? They are a lot cheaper but I assume not as good?

4. UnderwaterGalaxy

UnderwaterGalaxy Valued Member Member

For a 27" tall planted tank you'll need a light that can penetrate. Penetration is the weak point of LED/t5 lights. Might want to look into HID lights.

5. OP
    OP
    N

I was also looking at the Fluval lights. Does anyone have any experience with the Fluval plant 2.0 and the 3.0. I was wondering which one is better or if they aren’t that different.

6. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

The 2 big differences is the 3.0 doesnt have a button. It's completely controlled on your phone. And the light spectrum is a little different. Slightly lower PAR but the wavelength is supposedly better for the plants. Absolutely no option for a split photoperiod. That's the only thing that irked me about a plant light, but since it was a second light, I cant say it actually affects me that much.

7. TLeTourneau

TLeTourneau Valued Member Member

I started with a quad T-5 HO on my 150 gallon deep planted aquarium and it was ok but I switched to Kessil A360WE Tuna Sun lights, they are much better in my opinion. For advanced control you would want to look at an aquarium controller like the Neptune Apex or the Kessil Spectral Controller. Kessil makes great lights but they are not inexpensive. A less expensive option would be the Chinese black box lights like MarsAqua, Bloomspect, or VIPARSPECTRA amongst others, just search Amazon for them and you will see several options. SBReef, who has been making marine reef lights for years, now makes freshwater lights as well and are highly regarded in the reef community. Them I'll link to -  

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice