Lightly Planted 55 Gallon Community Aqaurium 55 Gallon Tank

1. packers1193

packers1193 New Member Member

Here's my 55 gallon community tank it houses a pair of ANGELFISH, 1 MALE BETTA, 4 PLATYS, 3 CORY CATS, 1 PICTUS CAT, 2 BLUE GOURAMIS, 2 SWORD TALES, 3 AUSTRALIAN RAINBOWFISH, 3 BLACK SKIRT TETRAS, 3 BLOODFIN TETRAS, 9 NEON TETRAS, 1 RAINBOWSHARK, & A CHINESE ALGEA EATER. It's FILTERED by 3 filters ones a marineland penguin 350, a aqueon 30, & A homemade BIO FILTER that pumps about 200 gph.. Please comment back thank you.. 1527526752811.jpg 1527528309329.jpg 1527528368853.jpg 1527528560664.jpg 1527528589793.jpg

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

It looks cool! but you seem to have a few schooling fish without a school, 6+ fish. The rainbows, tetras and cories need 6 or more in groups and cories need 4 or more. Once the angels start to breed they will harass every fish that gets near their spot. the rainbow shark and pictus catfish will grow over 6 inches, overstocking the tank. The chinese algae eater will get to 11 inches and get aggressive and start eating the slime off of other fish. The angels will probably eat the neons. The platies and swordtails will breed with eachother and have babies every month but will probably be eaten by other fish.

Also, is that a pothos plant inside the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    packers1193

Thanks appreciate the comments & info but yes it's a pothos vine

4. bryangar

That pothos isn’t helping the water quality, it supposed to be placed outside of the tank with only the roots submerged, if you leave it underwater its going to rot. It does help with water quality when used right tho.

5. OP
    OP
    packers1193

I've had it submerged for almost a year it's been growing with new growth & has not rotted so I think it's fine

Hey sorry i wasnt able to write back fully on your first comment but yeah I know it's recommended to have 6+ & 4+ fish in school with those fish you mentioned but you don't necessarily have to but my angels have bred they do get a bit aggressive but i wasn't wanting to breed it just happened so i left it of course no fish survived & as far as them eating the neons there too small even if when they do get bigger they won't eat em they just see em as other inhabitants & yes I know swordtails & platies breed like crazy I guess the fry are just snack for the other fish sounds cruel but that's the cycle & the chinese algae will not get 11 inches in captivity the shark, algae eater, & picture will get about 4-6

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

You have a bunch of juveniles right now. Your stock isn't going to fly long term :-( This is what people seem to forget when they are thinking their fish are compatible because they have gotten along so far.

What makes you think the angels will never eat the neons?? You don't know that.....If the angels are cared for properly and reach the size that they should, there is a very good chance they will eat them. A stunted angel, maybe not. But you don't want stunted fish do you?

Pictus cats are social and do best in groups. Adult sharks can be very aggressive. And the CAE is definitely a risk to the other fish in that tank as an adult.

Your comment about how you "don't necessarily need to" keep schooling and shoaling fish in appropriate schools is a selfish one. If you don't want to keep more than a couple of one schooling species, you should not get that species of fish. Getting just a couple of each, to allow you to get more different kinds of fish, is selfish in my opinion :-(

I guess it boils down to what matters to you. Do you want your fish to be happy, and thrive, and display natural healthy behaviors and not have their lifespans shortened? or do you want them to just survive? If all you care about it keeping them alive, then none of the above matters.

BUT, if you want to treat these fish with the same care you would a dog or a cat or other kinds of pets that people seem to care more about....then giving them an appropriate environment is critical. Meaning the appropriate schools, the appropriate temps, the appropriate tank size.

You weren't asking for stocking help initially. So I am sorry it went that direction. But since it was brought up....and your answer was concerning, I felt the need to speak up.

I guess just be honest with yourself about what matters to you regarding your fish. You don't have to answer to anyone. But if you want your fish to be more than just ornamental, you should really take some of this advice!

7. OP
    OP
    packers1193

Alright dude you act like I don't know I'm in the process of setting up more tanks & I have to disagree with you saying the angels will eat neons I've kept angels wnith neons for a long time & not juveniles either full grown adults ive also kept smaller fish with em like mosquito fish & never had problems maybe you have idk & yessss I know pictus are social fish!!! Doesn't mean they can't thrive alone I've had one for 3 years alone till I had to get rid of it so I think I'm doing something right & the CAE is fine I don't know why people freak out about that I've kept these fish before they don't get that big in captivity & won't be a nuisance to other fish unless you have a massive tank they can get big in & I know sharks can be aggressive I havnt had any problems & he's not juvenile either but I'll be moving him to a African cichlid tank in the future & yesss again I know I'm short on a few of my schooling fish by 2 or 3 THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY CAN'T THRIVE!!! MY blood fins school with the black skirts so it's like they have 6. I didn't ask for your 2 cents, so do me a favor & keep it to yourself, my tank is thriving and has been for a year.

8. bryangar

You’re on a fish forum and you’re doing everything wrong but you don’t want people to give you tips on how to help your fish? We’re here to help people. We are taking in fish and trying to give them the best possible life. We try to recreate their natural environments. Just because your schooling fish that don’t have school are surviving doesn’t mean they’re thriving. Big difference.

Everyone has a different tank maybe it works for some and maybe not for others. We just tell people what can happen. The CAE has a 55 gallon to grow, Im sure that’s enough space to grow full size, if given quality food and pristine water conditions. You don’t know that they won’t be nuisance. They tend to come out during night times and feed on the slime coats of sleeping fish.
    Again, You’re on a fish forum. Where people care about their fish.

9. OP
    OP
    packers1193

I get the schooling fish thing are you I just said I plan on setting up more tanks soon my rainbows, corys & TETRAS will be fine like I said the blood fins & black skirts school together there fine... & no way a Chinese algae eater is going to pass 6 inches in this size of tank maybe over 5 are you dumb not all fish reach the full size there tag says when you buy em there in CAPTIVITY. With the exception of some fish like plecos, Oscars, other cichlids etc.

10. bryangar

I’m not sure where you read that that most fish don’t reach their full size in captivity but if you’re doing everything right, they should be able to reach their full size.

11. OP
    OP
    packers1193

Because you think a fish that gets 12 inches will get that big in a 10,20,30, or 55 gal aquarium? Nope maybe might reach half the size or 3/4 in the 55 gallon depending on the fish think about it & I know from experience lol