Lighting.... Help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by ibiaquariums, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ibiaquariumsValued MemberMember

Hey people...

Researched into various, kinds/types and responses in regards to the best lighting available...

what would you agree would be most suitable for my tank...

Firstly, it will be a mixed tank. I plan to have about 2/3 small fish, with inverts (cleaner crews etc etc, maybe an urchin, cucumber etc..undecided yet really) maybe an anemone or 2 along with 1 or 2 soft corals also.

my tank size is L-91" W-15" H-20" i believe this is about 40gals?

Would what you all suggest?

and thanks!!!!!!!!

2. zeeter

zeeterWell Known MemberMember

91" long on a 40 gallon? I'd double-check that. My recommendation, though, is t-5's. At 20" high it's strong enough to penetrate to the bottom. It's not quite as much of an energy hog as PC's or MH's. And their initial cost is cheaper.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  3. Stang Man

Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

Do T5's or metal hylide to have a good spetrum of light and you can do either and will depend on corals.Do 54 watt T5's 4 bulb setup with 2 actinic and 2 10,000 k and that will be plenty!

4. carlos413

carlos413Valued MemberMember

+1 I do t5's two 420 actinics and two @ 10,000k.

5. carlos413

carlos413Valued MemberMember

+1 I do t5's one 420 and another 460 actinics and two @ 10,000k.

6. OP
    OP
    i

ibiaquariumsValued MemberMember

ok... this lighting is so confusing guys.... but i think ive kind of work it out...

for example 'carlos' above says do "t5's one 420 and another 460 actinics and two @ 10,000k.'

Now to me lol, this just sounds like a load of different lights

ei: one T5 @ 420, the 2nd T5 @ 460... ok but '420 & 460'.. means/is what exactly?

Is this ^^^ a 4 bulb setup?

As for 'Actinics', is that jsut the brand name of the T5s?

and... two 'what?' @ 1000k...

Ok... Ive tried making as much sense as possibly i can. Here's a the link... to some lighting i rekon would be good strong and suitable... let me know if im on the right track here...

thanx thanx!

7. zeeter

Actinics are your blue lights. When you buy a four bulb T5 setup two of the bulbs will be actinic and two 10K white if it is made for saltwater. 10K-25K is the illuminance in LUX of full daylight. It's really not that complicated; I think we're all confusing you.

T5s are your standard fluorescent lights - just that they are 5/8 of an inch wide. I think most lights you see in a household fluorescent fixture ate t12, meaning 12/8ths of an inch (an inch and a half).

420 and 460 are actinics and the numbers refer to the wavelength of the light. One of them is more purpleish than the other - can't remember which one off the top of my head. Creatures need the actinic lighting to help with photosynthesis. Actinics also are useful when lights are put on a timer.

Many marine lights have either multiple electrical cords or a built in timer. Setting the actinics to run about a half-hour before and after the white lights helps the fish as they don't go from darkness to sudden full light.

We havent' even started on lunar lighting yet...

8. OP
    OP
    i

Oh i get it! Is this why blue lights are advised during the night so creatures or marine life can still basically photosynthesis?! As red lighting doesnt work nowhere near as well...

I know its a shock from going from complete darkness to lightness... (my living room gets really bright before my tank lights come one - would this be ok?)

But a problem i have is when its lights out... it goes from white tank lights to sometimes straight dark? unless i put my red night lights on before hand..

I went with red becoz i think it looks better, but if blue really is the way forward a healthy tnak will persuade me anyday.

Can you explain the next part please lol...

9. zeeter

Don't confuse actinics with lunar lights. Lunars are typically LED lights that simulate moonlight. They make an nice lighting ripple effect in the water. Actinics are just part of the light spectrum that also happen to be good for simulating pre-dawn and dusk hours. You don't want to leave the actinics on all night as you'll have an algae problem.

You don't NEED lunar lights. Many people don't use them, and if you decide you want them later on there's quite a few brands of simple low-priced lunar light strips on the market.

10. Stang Man

I disagree! This is why on actinics with the use of a daylight bulb such as a 10K bulb will give a daylight bulb the full spectrum of light that corals need this light combined is a full blue daylight spectrum. A moonlight Led will only give you a 1 watt spectrum that also gives a blue spectum for moonlight . this light from LED will help a reef because of moon light change in the course of a month. with your T5s do a 10k bulb and actinics do a 460 to produce the full spectrum of light to be succesfull.If you want to go full LED's do acombo of daylight and actinic look which is both blue and white lights with a moonlight which is a purple LED.

11. OP
    OP
    i

il have to read that a few times over lol! But ill get their :)

12. zeeter

Stang are you disagreeing with me? You kind of said the same thing as me with added info on LED's.

13. Stang Man

Yeah kind of on the part about actinics as moon light.

14. zeeter

Oh I never said actinics were moon lights. I said don't confuse them with moon lights. In the previous posting mentioned that they help with photosynthesis.

15. Stang Man

My bad I was thinking of another post. it's hard to keep up with all of them.

16. zeeter

that's alright - I think I was grumpy when I posted that.

17. OP
    OP
    i

Yeh sorry guys and girls... it wasnt 90" in length i meant to put 90cm or 35" instead.

So my tank specs are:

L - 35" & H - 20". ('W' is stated in my initial post if you want to know it.. ive forgot lol)

Ive decided to go with T5's for this smaller set-up of mine.

But the T5's @ 54w seem far too long in length for my tank? Their 46/7 inches long. My tank is only 35" long.

The less powerfull T5's, @39w are 34 inches long... more suitable length wise for my tank.

So will these T5's (x2..or would i then need x3) @39w... be ok??? Im also going for x2 blue actinic blues @ 14000k's????

.....am i right in believing that the extra 10/11inches on a 54w T5 is the reason for the extra 15w's on a 54wt T5 also????

Im also quite confused as i read on another site that MH's @ 250wts are the bare minimum a marine reef set-up should have? If thats the case... my x2 t5's are nowhere near that?!

Or do T5's generally have a 'stronger' or a 'highier output' amount? rather then wattage...

So few questions im in dia-help of answers for please guys!!!!

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  18. Stang Man

Do two 39 watt actinic and 2 10 0r 14 k That will be plenty of spectrum to grow a good range of corals. As for Metal hilide 250 or over are for more corals that require that type like acropora for instance. You will be fine with 4 total setup on your tank usingT5 lighting. Wattage means that the bulb of defferent sizes need a little more watts to run completly inside of bulb that is why the big jump from 39 to 54 watts The longer the bulb it requires more juice to feed the bulb . Does that answer your question.?

19. zeeter

Something like this should work well for you. 2 10K's and 2 actinics, plus lunar. I think it has a timer, too. I have the 48" version of this light and it works great.

20. Stang Man

Too big for tank! FYI

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice