lighting Question

1. dragonshark Member Member

hey all i have T12 lightting can you put a T8 bulb in its place i dont know much of any thing about lightting for my tank i have live plants( JF ) and fish in both my 55g long and my 30/35g long tanks i would like to know a good cheep bulb i can use i have been on Drsfostersmith.com BigAlsOnline.com PetMountain.com there is alot of cheep lights but most of them are T8 the lightting i would like to have is 2-5 wpg as i want to get some more plants for my tanks looking for some kind of plants that would be good for hidding in for fry and also need some stuff for eggs my first bach of fry i got was 13 of the little guys would like to bump that number up i use the 30/35g tank as my breeding tank what i have in it are small rocks small JF clippings and a fake plant not realy any hidding places but i think i want something to blanket the bottom of the tank for the eggs any help would be good thanks all

Attached Files:

2. mathas Well Known Member Member

Maybe... it depends on the ballast in the fixture. If you're not 100% certain your ballast is designed to run a T8 bulb, I would not risk it.

If you don't match the bulb to the ballast, the lifespan of one or the other (or both!) will likely be shortened significantly.

3. dragonshark Member Member

ok what about T6 i seen it on one of the sites off here and it said it can fit any?

4. David C Well Known Member Member

The T6 means the bulb is 6/8in in diameter and the T8 is 8/8in (1 inch). Not sure how two completely different size bulbs could fit in the same fixture unless somehow the plugs were adjustable. The ballast is designed to run a specific wattage, which has nothing to do with diameter of the bulb. Some T5 bulbs are 18 watts while others are 36w or more, so you most definitely need to match the ballast to the wattage of the bulb.

Check your fixture and see if the adapters are adjustable to the different size bulbs.

Dave

5. dragonshark Member Member

how can i do that i looked at the starter (?) and they say 15-30w on one and 15-40w on the other

6. mathas Well Known Member Member

Again, maybe... it depends on the ballast.

I've seen some people say that T6 is a direct drop-in replacement for T8/10/12, and I've seen other people report their own experiences where a functional T12 ballast (that works with T12 bulbs) won't fire T6 bulbs at all.

7. dragonshark Member Member

ok so i took out my ballast and it said f30t8 f30t12 f40t12 and some others with t9 so now what is a good bulb to get for med light plants and fish

8. mathas Well Known Member Member

That means the ballast is designed to support either 30W T8 bulbs, 30W T12 bulbs, or 40W T12 bulbs.

Unless your fixture supports 3 or more bulbs, you aren't going to get "medium light" without replacing the fixture. Replacing the bulbs won't lead to a significant increase in light output, but if you can't afford to replace the fixture, you might want to look into DIY reflector solutions to try and maximize the light you do have. You can do a forum search here, there have been several threads discussing methods of doing so.

If you are sticking with the current fixture, any bulb with a correlated color temperature rating between 5000K and 10000K will be just about as good as any other similar bulb... in my opinion, there really isn't such a thing as a "best bulb", so the choice really comes down to which looks the best to you.

9. dragonshark Member Member

ok i did check out the DIY form and found some good stuff on there love that form so i found a 20000k t12 bulb is that going to put more light in the tank? for now im just going to get a bulb till i can save to DIY im not realy carring what it looks like what im wanting is performens on plant growth and wont mess with the fish

10. mathas Well Known Member Member

While it's hard to say for certain just from the color temperature rating, 20000K in general is probably not going to be ideal for freshwater plants... that's more of a marine spectrum. Stick to the 5000K-10000K range for freshwater (if you're going by color temp. alone) and you'll likely get the best results.

11. dragonshark Member Member

k thanks mathas and every one happy new year;:barf:;balloons