Lighting 20 Gallon Tank

1. Fishoholic23 Well Known Member Member

I had a low maintenance planted tank in the past but I am planning on getting a decent light for my 20 gallon to replace the hood light that came with the tank. I will be using a versa-top hood if that helps at all. For purpose I think low to medium light will do fine, and I am working on a small budget so th e cheaper the better. Any help is appreciated!

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Some cheap LED strips should suffice. How deep is the tank?

3. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

Here's my low budget high output plant light. ae6b2b2f14937dea171e4bc468376c14.jpg

4. Retro Initiate Member

Aquaneat multicolor led on ebay for <$35. Comes in many sizes with adjustable brackets for prefect fit. Ive had mine for over a years, all leds still works and it grows/sustains plants very well. Even has a night mode thats just the blue leds, very cool, any florescent decor glows. Just as good as the $100-200 name brand ones you see at petsmartco.

5. Fishoholic23 Well Known Member Member

Around 16 inches high/deep.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm looking into it as an option and I'm thinking that its one of my favorite choices yet.

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I am growing Wisteria, Amazon Swords and Jungle Val with just about 2700 lumens in the form of LED strips on a 18 inch deep tank, they are doing fine. Someone will come out and tell me lumens are not a good method of measuring light... I know that but I wont buy a PAR sensor just to find out how much PAR they are getting lol.

7. barandemir09 Member Member

Chihiros a series leds are good, but they get hot. They are pretty much the same as the ADA lights but only around $40 aud... idk how much that's in usd lol. Just search on eBay

Oh and you get around 100-115 par on a 12 inch deep tank

8. Fishoholic23 Well Known Member Member

Update to all: I'm going with the Aquaneat LED fixture, because I am terrible at DIY jobs, and cannot find a Chihiros light that is 24 inches. Thanks for all the support guys!

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You don't need to even work hard to do a DIY light. Buy a clamp light, buy a plant-friendly bulb, screw bulb in, place on glass, turn on. Cheaper than the cheap LED fixtures, and often better for plants.

10. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

If you haven't purchased it yet, it's the chihiros a601 for a 20. (Tall, not long)