lighting

1. Dyno252 Initiate Member

Can someone please answer this for me I'm very new in this hobby. So i just bought a Deep Blue Solarmax HE 230 light system for my tank, now it has two bulbs one is a T5 Actinic-D3 lamp and the other is a T5 10,000K Daytime lamp. Am i suppose to have both lights on at the same time, or just one?

2. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I believe that having both on can overheat the tank. I think the daylight light is for the day and other can be used at night.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Those bulbs are for a reef tank, they will do little for a freshwater tank. Are you trying to grow plants? If so I would switch the blue bulb out for a plant growing bulb or another daytime bulb if you can find one. Is this fixture a T5NO or a T5HO?

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Is this a freshwater or saltwater tank you are setting up? I'm asking because I see you posted a similar thread in the freshwater forum: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-beginners/116803-lighting.html.

If you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

5. pitbull_nc Member Member

If it is saltwater that you are setting up one light can be used for coral but I dont know if that is what you are setting up.

6. Dyno252 Initiate Member

ok i have up dated my tank information now

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you for updating your aquarium info. As we now know you have a saltwater tank, I have merged your threads in the saltwater forum to avoid confusion.

8. Dyno252 Initiate Member

and this is for a salt water reef tank

9. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Use both at the same time the actinic is a blue light for corals that penetrate the symbiotic tissues of coral. What do you have in the tank thus far? What are your plans for this 29?

10. Dyno252 Initiate Member

Right now i have about 11 pounds of live rock and two fish, and sand. As as for plans i plan on getting lots more live rock, then add some coral. I also want to know is it good to have a protein skimmer ?

11. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Yes

Yes, get a protein skimmer. Also, read up on the aquarium nitrogen cycle since you have in your aquarium info that you didn't know about that. More reading here to get you up to speed on different saltwater topics: Saltwater Aquarium Beginners Guide

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Saltwater Beginners to Saltwater Tank Equipment/Saltwater Aquarium Lighting section of the forum.

I hope you enjoy the site!

Ken

13. pitbull_nc Member Member

yes a protein skimmer is very important to your tanks success. Also I saw you already have 2 fish. I hope your tank is already cycled.

and just fyi keeping the fish in a bag 15 minutes and then dumping them in a bucket isnt exactly quarantine. when they asked about quarantine it is referring to you actually have a quarantine tank. A lot of enthusiasts swear by them and what it is is just another tank where you keep the fish before you add them to your main tank. You keep them there for a few weeks just to be sure they do not have any diseases or anything else wrong and if you do you can treat them in the quarantine tank. In cases where you need to use copper or something like that to the fish to treat them, if they are in your main tank you run a high risk of killing off beneficial crustaceans etc. Also I will let you know that a lot of people on here (including myself) will recommend to do a fishless cycle. It can be hard on the fish to cycle with them, and looked at by many as cruel. Basically what you are doing by keeping them in the tank is putting them in toxic water and telling them good luck. I would definatelly also invest in a test kit. While you can take your water to your LFS, it can be so beneficial to have your own so that you can actually watch your levels when you want to check them regardless if your LFS is open or not. Please do like the above post stated and read up on the Nitrogen Cycle. It is very essential to your tanks success as well that you understand all of this. Feel free to ask any questions that you have on this website because there is some very beneficial people on here that are very knowledgable. They helped me out tons when I first started.

14. Dyno252 Initiate Member

ok thanks a lot. Also the only reason is added fish was because i used a chemical that basically make the cycle happen in like an hour. It removed all traces of ammonia and nitrate in the tank. Now idk if that was the right way to do it, but that's what they told me at the pet store. And for me i also think it's very odd that i haven't had any algae in my tank, i read a lot about other peoples systems and they get all this algae and other stuff, but i didn't for whatever reason. And i see that you said it is bad to start the cycle with fish, so is it better to just do it with the live rock? And last question is do you have to add some type of chemical or something to help your live rock grow, or is it all on its own?

15. pitbull_nc Member Member

The live rock isn't live per se but the organisms that come on and in them are. That is why they are called live rock. You dont have to add anything for the rock. One way to do a fishless cycle is to add live sand and live rock and then drop a piece of raw shrimp in there. What happens is when the shrimp starts to decay it releases ammonia. Your protein skimmer then converts it from ammonia to a nitrite and then to a nitrate. Ammonia and nitrites are both toxic to fish but nitrates are not. You then do waterchanges to remove the nitrates. When you start seeing nitrates and ammonia and nitrites are at 0 then your tank is cycled. That is why it is important to have a good protein skimmer and your own test kit. Especially if you already have fish. I have never added chemicals to cycle the tank so I cant comment on that. I try to do things the natural way if possible. Seems to work better. Hope this all helps.

16. Dyno252 Initiate Member

helped out a lot man thanks:;perfect

17. pitbull_nc Member Member

no problem. like I said that is what everyone is here for. I ask a lot of questions on here myself. Its all a learning process.

18. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

What type rock did you buy? Is it cured rock or non cured rock, it usally takes several weeks for the ammonia and nitrites to start happening so this is why your not seeing any algaes as of now your tank is going to cycle so I would suggest taking back the fish that you bought until the tank has fully cycled.

19. Dyno252 Initiate Member

i added a chemical i dont know the name, but i got it from my LFS and it completes the cycle in a day so you can add fish my fish have been doing fine, but im wondering was the more natural way to do it was better? if so can i drain my water in my tank leave the live rock in and restart? and how do you know if your rock is cured or not cured?

20. pitbull_nc Member Member

I know that the easiest way is to simply ask your LFS if it is simply cured or not. However Stangman is a very knowledgable person and may be able to tell you another way to find out.