Lighting very tall tank

glucas

I have an hex tank that is approximately 50 gallon so it is quite tall and narrow (18" x about 5.5'tall).

I has an enclosed hood that had only one small fluorescent lamp about 6" long and the tank was very dim. I since have been trying light this tall tank to make it more viewable and ideally to house some aquatic plants.

I recently acquired a seneye meter that is quite handy for measuring many chemical metrics on the tank including LUX, PAR, Kelvin in additionto NH3, pH, Temp, etc.

So the light readings that I am getting (ambient, not pointing the meter directly at the lights) is:

PAR: 3-4
LUX: 120-150
Kelvin: 4400

Again, these readings are at the surface; the plants are 3.5' further down.

Lights: MarineLand 3416 LED & GE 100W CFL 6700ºK

Ideally, I am trying to find a pendant style light that I could suspend in the hood which is the challenge since it is less than 16" wide.

Suggestions?

Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 5.38.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 5.38.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 5.39.04 PM.png

ryanr

Welcome to Fishlore

This chart only goes up to 24" deep, with the lighting 12" above the tank. Theoretically you could use 2 x T5HO at the surface to get low light at the 3.5' mark. (I understand that the intensity diminishes the deeper you go). Though more tubes with good reflectors might be better.

LED could be an option, but I'm not sure on the penetration, certainly you can get good results to 28".

The only other option, would be Metal Halide, which could definitely handle the depth, but the cost of running could put a big dent in the bank account.

glucas

Yeah, lighting can really break the bank. I've been looking around and don't mind spending a bit, but am looking for a cost-effective solution. Any insights in to the readings that I am getting; are they as woefully inadequate as I believe them to be?

This chart only goes up to 24" deep, with the lighting 12" above the tank. Theoretically you could use 2 x T5HO at the surface to get low light at the 3.5' mark. (I understand that the intensity diminishes the deeper you go). Though more tubes with good reflectors might be better.

LED could be an option, but I'm not sure on the penetration, certainly you can get good results to 28".

The only other option, would be Metal Halide, which could definitely handle the depth, but the cost of running could put a big dent in the bank account.

Echostatic

66" tall? That does sound like it's going to be tough to light for plants, should they be grown near the bottom. The only advice I have, if you go t5, is get 10,000k lights. I've heard here that they are better at penetrating water more deeply.

ryanr

Or even 18000k!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sixtyfour
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
PeteStevers