Lighting upgrade, plant activity slowing down?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by HeartOfMadness, Dec 9, 2012.

1. H

HeartOfMadness New Member Member

I have had a planted tank for a little under a year now, everything is going very well. About two weeks about I decided to upgrade my lighting from 60w (2x30w T8's) to 136w by adding two t5 39w for a 200L aquarium. I am using CO2 at a steady rate with a glass/ceramic diffuser the bubbles float up into a powerhead and get pushed around the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4nidZDRzY

Video of my tank, you cant see the very small bubbles very well there.

My question is that for the first two weeks the plants went absolutely crazy with their gaseous activity, little streams of oxygen bubbles were pouring out of them constantly. Which I never saw before the lighting upgrade (very pleasing to see). Now the activity seems to have almost stopped. I was wondering if this is normal cycles of plant activity? Or can I get them to perk up again?

I do a 20% water change every week.
    I add this fertiliser every week at the required amount -  
    I have also used aquarium plant root tabs.

Any thoughts people have would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
    Simon

2. OP
    OP
    H

I think it will probably be some micro nutrient which the plants have all used up and now they need more? How do you figure out what is it they need? The water in my area is super hard so it cant be calcium carbonate? :p

3. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

have you tested your water for nitrate? Do you have an ingredients list on that fert? A high light heavily planted tank uses substantial quantities of npk.

4. OP
    OP
    H

it does not seem to have a breakdown of in ingredients it uses. :-( it sayes highly concentrated complete fertilizer which contains iron, potassium, manganese and many other vital nutrients. multiple stabilized fertilizer without any nitrates of phosphates.

I tested my water after my last water change:
    PH 7.5
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate <5

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice