Lighting Suggestions for 10 gallon Aqueon planted tank

JJ3204
I have a 10 gallon Aqueon with a hood so I can’t use clip on LEDS. I’m starting a planted tank which I’m planning on having medium to heavy planting with medium (I haven’t decided on medium-high or medium-low so I could choose plants based on the lighting) light plants and I can’t find resources for the type of light bulb I need in the rod shape. Does anyone have suggestions? If there are some out there that are good for low light, I haven’t bought any plants yet so I could switch to low light plants if necessary. Thanks in advance, it’s late where I live so I might have a late response.

Advertisement
JayAlva
I saw a hygger light Im going to buy it has a timer dimmer all set into it and is priced nicely I couldn't tell you how well it will work on plants but I got a similar style light on my other planted Aquarium and the plants seem fine.

Advertisement
JJ3204

BF59B892-501D-41BD-B4CF-3B3A552174AB.jpeg
this is what I have

RedOnion
Literally have a similar situation, I have a lid on and with my cat i have to keep them on! I went for the NICREW submersible light which has blue and white leds light, very affordable and my amazons, javas, and anubias have been doing extremely well and have been growing like crazy! With this light I would opt for medium-low + some ferts and your tank would do well! For my 10g I have the 14in NICREW submersible which is amazing!

Edit: not sure if you are wanting a light bulb or a whole other light, sorry if this comment doesn't help!

Advertisement
JJ3204
Thanks, this is very helpful. If I knew about submersible lights I would already have them. It’s late and my eyes hurt so thank you everyone for the quick responses. I am considering floaters so hopefully my hood light and ferts will be enough for those.

RedOnion
I meant to like instead I gave a trophy my bad lol

Islandvic
If you haven't already used the hood yet, consider returning it and purchasing an Aqueon "Versa-Top" hinged glass lid for your 10g.

That way, you can place a traditional light bar on top of your 10g.

Otherwise, trying to incorporate another light with the current plastic hood will be tricky, especially if you want plants that require a ton of light.

There are some solutions, though your plant choices will be those needing "low light".

Consider the "Marineland Hidden LED Aquarium Strip Light" in the 17" size. The Chewy website sells them. If you live near PetSmart, the cashier will price match the Chewy website, and also allow you to stack a 20% or 25% off coupon that can be earned playing the game found in the PetSmart app.

I have the 17" and the 21" versions when Chewy had them previously on clearance. One is on our 55g Top Fin tank that has a plastic lid that is very similar to your plastic Aqueon lid, so it should fit. I have it on a separate timer than the main hood's LED to get a staggered lighting effect. So far I've had zero issues with them and they are submersible.

Another option is a submersible LED bar that is mounted with suction cups. Amazon sells the brands "Ming Dak" and "Nicrew" that have these types of submersible LED's.

Our original quarantine/hospital tank was a 10g Aqueon with Versa-Top glass lid, though was converted to a full time tank.

It's first light was a Ming Dak 18.5" white LED from Amzon I bought I think for under $20 at the time. I either had it mounted right under the lip of the top rim or it was suction cuped under the glass lid, I forget. I also had the MingDak 7" or 8" LED in blue ran on a separate timer.

Although I dont use the MingDak LED's in tanks anymore, the white one is mounted inside one of our tank cabinets to give me some extra light in there.

Zero issues with the MingDak lights so far.

If you look at the Amazon page for those lights and click "see more" where the customer pics are at, scroll down to the bottom and on the last 2nd or 3rd row you can see the pic I posted of when our 10g was first set up as a quarantine/hospital tank (looks nothing like this now). You can get an idea of how bright the light is and read what I wrote about it from around 2 years ago.....

Here is a screenshot of that pic which was taken with the lights turned off in the room and at night, so room was completely dark.

Screenshot_20200802-091546_Chrome.jpg

On a side note, I actually still have those glo-tetras and the Corydoras seen while in quarantine! They are in our 65g community tank now.

I am not a plant expert, so ince you narrow down the direction you want to go with the lights, I suggest to make a new thread in the planted tsnk section of forum and ask the plant gurus here about their recommendations on suitable plants.

My knowledge of plants is only my experience with Golden Pothos and a couple of Anubias, which are basically some of the easiest plants to keep.

JJ3204
If you haven't already used the hood yet, consider returning it and purchasing an Aqueon "Versa-Top" hinged glass lid for your 10g.

That way, you can place a traditional light bar on top of your 10g.

Otherwise, trying to incorporate another light with the current plastic hood will be tricky, especially if you want plants that require a ton of light.

There are some solutions, though your plant choices will be those needing "low light".

Consider the "Marineland Hidden LED Aquarium Strip Light" in the 17" size. The Chewy website sells them. If you live near PetSmart, the cashier will price match the Chewy website, and also allow you to stack a 20% or 25% off coupon that can be earned playing the game found in the PetSmart app.

I have the 17" and the 21" versions when Chewy had them previously on clearance. One is on our 55g Top Fin tank that has a plastic lid that is very similar to your plastic Aqueon lid, so it should fit. I have it on a separate timer than the main hood's LED to get a staggered lighting effect. So far I've had zero issues with them and they are submersible.

Another option is a submersible LED bar that is mounted with suction cups. Amazon sells the brands "Ming Dak" and "Nicrew" that have these types of submersible LED's.

Our original quarantine/hospital tank was a 10g Aqueon with Versa-Top glass lid, though was converted to a full time tank.

It's first light was a Ming Dak 18.5" white LED from Amzon I bought I think for under $20 at the time. I either had it mounted right under the lip of the top rim or it was suction cuped under the glass lid, I forget. I also had the MingDak 7" or 8" LED in blue ran on a separate timer.

Although I dont use the MingDak LED's in tanks anymore, the white one is mounted inside one of our tank cabinets to give me some extra light in there.

Zero issues with the MingDak lights so far.

If you look at the Amazon page for those lights and click "see more" where the customer pics are at, scroll down to the bottom and on the last 2nd or 3rd row you can see the pic I posted of when our 10g was first set up as a quarantine/hospital tank (looks nothing like this now). You can get an idea of how bright the light is and read what I wrote about it from around 2 years ago.....

Here is a screenshot of that pic which was taken with the lights turned off in the room and at night, so room was completely dark.

View attachment 720010

On a side note, I actually still have those glo-tetras and the Corydoras seen while in quarantine! They are in our 65g community tank now.

I am not a plant expert, so ince you narrow down the direction you want to go with the lights, I suggest to make a new thread in the planted tsnk section of forum and ask the plant gurus here about their recommendations on suitable plants.

My knowledge of plants is only my experience with Golden Pothos and a couple of Anubias, which are basically some of the easiest plants to keep.
Thank you, also very helpful. I bought the Aqueon lid last year and it has been used. It can also do this:

image.jpg
Might I be able to use an actual light here?

Islandvic
Looks like there is a built in set if clips where a 2nd LED strip might clip in, right next to the current light. Maybe Aqueon sells an individual plug in LED to add to it ?

Otherwise, I'm sure one of those submersible MingDak or Nicrew LED's could be attached, either with suction cups, hot glue or zip ties.

JJ3204
Okay. What I meant was should I just remove that whole lid light and use a traditional bar light that sits on top of lidless tanks? But I think adding a second Aqueon LED would be better and easier so I don’t have a random hood light sitting around.

Islandvic
It would be a lot cleaner of a look if a second LED from Aqueon could be installed into the lid.

RedOnion
Looks like there is a built in set if clips where a 2nd LED strip might clip in, right next to the current light. Maybe Aqueon sells an individual plug in LED to add to it ?

Otherwise, I'm sure one of those submersible MingDak or Nicrew LED's could be attached, either with suction cups, hot glue or zip ties.
Yeah the can suction to the top, that's how I have mines.

JJ3204
Thank you, buying another light later today

I still have to find the right size, but Aqueon has an affordable light that is specifically to “stimulate plant growth.” I mean, for the price and reviews I’d say good enough. Thank you again for all the help.

JJ3204
Aghhh I’m so sorry for being annoying but I’ve decided on a Zoo Med fluorescent bulb instead because they work on my hood and have better reviews. Do I want a t5 or t8 bulb? I know the difference but I don’t know which is better for my 10 gallon. Advice? This is my hopefully my last question in this field.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redviper