Lighting Recommendations for new 40g breeder?

1. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Hi everyone,

So I am getting a new 40g breeder* very soon and would really appreciate some insight from experienced folks in terms of lighting. I've been doing research and all I've managed to do is confuse myself even more.

I sort of stumbled through getting lights for my first planted tank and while it did sort of work out, I think I could have done better.

-must be suitable for growing high light plants
    -tank dimensions are 36in x 18in x 16w
    -more concerned about quality and aesthetics over price but wouldn't mind lesser priced suggestions if it'll do that job
    -open to LED or Fluorescent

*(This tank is a pretty big deal to me as it's the largest I've ever gone so I'd really like everything to be as successful as possible so thanks in advance for any help!)

2. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

After more research, leaning towards a Finnex Ray2...thoughts?

3. titusxander

titusxander Valued Member Member

I am in the same boat as you are. I just bought a 40 gallon breeder from the local Petco because their $1 per gallon sale is currently going on. I still have to buy both the glass hood and the light as I am also doing a planted tank. I thought about getting a Coralife light, but I have read some pretty negative reviews about that brand of light. Maybe the people on here can help us out. I would really prefer a fluorescent light over LEDs. I am going to talk to my LFS guy tomorrow, and he has a pretty good track record of leading me in the right direction the past 5 years or so. It's also a major plus that he isn't pushy with sales and will refuse to sell you fish if he thinks something fishy is going on. Hope there are some suggestions on here soon, and maybe we can get some help.

4. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

I ended up going with Finnex Planted + 24/7 LEDs[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva, Helvetica]. :)[/FONT]

5. titusxander

titusxander Valued Member Member

That's the light that my LFS guy suggested if you don't mind spending some money. I had actually been researching it last night. It seems really cool. I think that's the one I am leaning towards since I can get it for $105 on Fosters & Smith with free shipping. How do you like the light? Also, are you going to use a hood/lid with the light? LFS guy said it wasn't necessary, but I have a very curious 9 month old kitten who likes to put stuff in all the water bowls, so I can see that ending badly without a hood, haha.

6. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

It's supposed to come tomorrow! I'll report back ASAP lol. I am not going with a hood at this moment because I think I'll like the naked look best but if you have a curious kitty, DEFINITELY would reccomend a hood haha.

7. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

Totally spring for the light if you can...the max mode is insane. The only thing is that the legs don't fit the rim of my tank, I need to find a way to adjust them without breaking them