Lighting Recommendation

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mmp4, Apr 15, 2017.

1. m

mmp4 Valued Member Member

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Not a plant expert but I believe that all the plants that you mentioned are quite low maintenance plants.
    Most of the plants are low light as well, not to sure about the Jungle Val though.

As I said above, I'm not a plant expert so I don't know exactly what lighting to get, but someone more experienced in plant keeping can help you out.

Best of Luck!

3. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks

4. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I would be interested to see what lights are recommended too. I'm planning to switch my 29-gallon over to fully planted in a couple of weeks. I will follow along :)

5. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

On my 29g, I use 3 clamp on desk lamps with 6,500k CFL lights. Inside my tank i have java moss, anubis, westeria, moss balls, hornwart, bacopa, and a couple of pothose cuttings. As you see I have a jungle in my tank.

[​IMG]

You could also go with the florescent plant tubes or plant LED. CFL works as long as it's 5,000k or higher. I recommend for better plant growth 6,500k

6. OP
    OP
    m

I saw led lights like beamswork and nicrew but Im not sure how good they actually are.

7. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. The CFL option as posted above by @Dragones5150918 is definitely doable and will grow what you listed.

If you want LEDs you could try:
    1. Finnex planted plus ($80 on Amazon), Amazon.com : Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 20-Inch : Pet Supplies
    2. Planted Plus with controller, Amazon.com : Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller, 20 Inch : Pet Supplies
    3. Current USA Freshwater LED+ ($80), Amazon.com : Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 18 to 24-Inch : Pet Supplies
    4. Current USA freshwater LED+ PRO ($152), Amazon.com : Current USA 18"-24" Satellite Plus PRO LED Light : Pet Supplies
    5. Kessil A160WE Tuna Sun ($240), Amazon.com : Kessil A160WE Controllable LED Aquarium Light, Tuna Sun : Pet Supplies

I would go for the Finnex 24 7. It is bright, but dimmable to your needs and thereby increases your plant options from LOW to MEDIUM.

8. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

I have Beamswork ET series lights no problem with growing low tech plants.

9. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Which ever brand you go with, go with LED. The tech is so far beyond the other types of lights it really is the only way to go (well, there is a solid argument to use mixed lights on reef tanks)

We switched to LED a few years ago and they are worth the extra initial cost.

10. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and info. Im definitely going with LED and going to check out a few that were mentioned

11. Heather L

Heather L Valued Member Member

Ive been studying a bit as I too am ready to replace my lights. I have decided to go with the Finnex 24/7. It is not a cheap choice, but I have put a lot of time and TLC into my tank, so I feel like it will be money well spent. I would recommend you watch a demo video, its a sweet light! Also, it will move you into medium light options.

12. Thunder_o_b

Very nice tank there :)

13. OP
    OP
    m

It seems like a really nice light, but Im not completely sure if I want to spend that much. Although this would be my first tank after being on this forum Im already wanting a bigger tank...lol. So Im thinking of maybe looking for something a little more budget friendly for my 20g.

14. Thunder_o_b

Lighting can get pricey depending on what you want to do. The high output plant lights on our 44 pent were over $300.00 US. But The pent is tall and we have plants on the sub straight that need high light.

I guess what I am getting at is that you should think about were you want to end up with plants. If you want plants down the road that need high light you will have to buy more lights if you buy low-med lights now. You can defuse the high output lights with floating plants. Or what we do is have plants that grow tall and shade the parts of the aquarium that the low light plants live in.

15. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I highly recommend the Finnex LED lights. If you want to stay low light, check out the Stingray model, otherwise the Planted Plus is great for low to medium lighting.

16. dcutl002

17. dcutl002

Concur with Dolfan.

@Dolfan - where have you been? I haven't heard seen one of your posts in a looong time.

18. Thunder_o_b

19. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Been here and there, just real busy with work/life stuff.

20. Thunder_o_b

Yeah, work can suck the life out of you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice