Lighting raising water temperature?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mcronix, Jun 30, 2016.

1. m

mcronix Valued Member Member

My Heater is set to around 78 degrees and stays around this temperature during the evenings.

I have the Finnex planted + 247 lighting on the 247 setting.
    I live in Houston so it's pretty hot but I set my AC so that the temperature gets to a maximum of 75-76 during the day.

However every time I come home from work the tank is often up to around 80 degrees.

Is this a big issue and are there any suggestions? I'd rather have the temp around 78.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Sometimes heaters aren't super accurate. Try lowering your heater a few degrees and see if that helps (it might take a day or two to see a difference in temp).

3. OP
    OP
    m

I've already had this. It's actually set to what seems to be around 76-77 but settles around 78.5

I'll try lowering it a bit more but the temp seems to come down when the lighting gets dimmer later in the day

4. Dovah

Dovah Well Known Member Member

Is your tank near a window?

5. A

Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Might sound funny, but if you have a meat thermometer see what you get with it. I have 2 tanks, one has a heater with temp readings, the other doesn't have a heater with readings, just the dial. They have different thermometers. Which read widely different when switched around for testing purposes. :). I've found that the meat thermometer is the most accurate, LOL. The heater with the temp reading shows 72 degrees (I've dialed it down over time). The thermometer on the opposite side of the tank reads 76. The meat thermometer reads 79.6. The other tank (no reading on the heater) reads 82. The meat thermometer reads 79.4. The extended finger test (both feel almost exact) makes me think both of my thermometers are off-your skin definitely registers a 5 degree difference even if you're not paying attention. If you are, you will notice even fewer degrees when you compare them immediately, from tank to tank. :) I'm very confident both my tanks are 79-80F, despite what the thermometers read.

6. bigdreams

bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I have also "calibrated" my thermometers with a digital instant read (cooking) thermometer to figure out how "off" the aquarium thermometers were. I trust the instant read thermometer more.

Also my tank is covered with glass tops and the temperature definitely rises a few degrees with the heat from the Finnex 24/7 LED. (I have the same light).

7. OP
    OP
    m

Nope, made sure there is no sunlight which strikes the tank, not near any windows and I keep my apartment dark when I'm out for the most part.

That's interesting. I have a glass top also and am pretty sure it is the lights as they're pretty bright when on full.

Is this OK for my fish? I currently only have a clown pleco in there but am soon to add some neon tetras and corys over the next month or two.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2016
  8. bigdreams

I dont think it is a big deal if it gets a little warm in the summer, but if it happens year round you may want to go with cardinal tetra instead, they prefer warmer water. 80 may be too hot for neons. And look at cory such as bronze cory or sterbai cory which also like warmer temperatures.

9. Dovah

Agree with bigdreams - fish deal with fluctuations just like we do. Winter and summer aren't always the same. As long as they stay within their tolerance I don't think it's too much of a deal.

10. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you both for input. It was more just whether the temperature moving 2 degrees every day would negatively affect the fish.

My LFS actually has a deal on cardinals and just got a big batch in so maybe I'll go for them. Are they similar to neons other than the temperature aspect?

Sterbais are my favourite so no issues there :) Thanks for the advice.

11. bigdreams

Cardinals need long acclimation period, are sensitive at first, but supposedly aren't as susceptible to neon tetra disease as neons are. Plus they are more colorful!

12. OP
    OP
    m

Awesome.
    Would you say 60-90 mins drip acclimating should be sufficient?

13. bigdreams

I am not an expert, so maybe better if others weigh in. I would do a few cardinals at a time, 90 minutes would probably be good, keeping the temperature constant etc. I made the mistake of buying too many cardinals at once, which caused all kinds of problems during acclimation.

14. Dovah

I think acclimating a whole school/shoal at once (if you have a bucket big enough) is good because they have the comfort of other individuals. After they're added I just compensate for a while with Prime and/or water changes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice