75 Gallon Tank Lighting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewl04

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have had my sw aquarium for a while and I am looking to add coral sometime in the future. I have been doing alot of research but I am still unsure as to what I should get. I have been looking at T5 or power compact. I found this on ebay which seems like a good deal, but its a brand i can't find anywhere else.

Should I go with this or should I get something with a little more watts.
I know for sure that I want to go with plate coral, frongspawn, and Brain coral.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would not buy fixture on ebay unless they are good real brand. Most of the cheap lights you see on ebay aren't good fixtures that usually doen't last and could cause some damage.

The wattage will depend on the dimensions of your tank.

OP
M

matthewl04

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The dimensions of my tank are 48 x 18 x 21. So how many watts should i go with? I recently found a 48"Nova Extreme 8x54w T5 HO + 4 LED's which was refurbished by the company but I thought that might be to much.

aquatic mouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd pass on the Nova Extreme. I know some people who have had A LOT of trouble with them. They've gone through 6 sets in less than 3 months! 2 sets caught on fire, 3 sets wouldn't turn on. They've gotten them from different stores and everything. I wouldn't waste your money.

I love 's lights. I'm running their T-5's on all 3 marine tanks. They're so inexpensive, I'm even running them on the fish only tank!

I would run 4 T-5 bulbs for the corals you are looking at.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd pass on the Nova Extreme. I know some people who have had A LOT of trouble with them. They've gone through 6 sets in less than 3 months! 2 sets caught on fire, 3 sets wouldn't turn on. They've gotten them from different stores and everything. I wouldn't waste your money.

I love 's lights. I'm running their T-5's on all 3 marine tanks. They're so inexpensive, I'm even running them on the fish only tank!

I would run 4 T-5 bulbs for the corals you are looking at.
Those are not Nova Extreme. Nova extreme is made by current USA which is a really good brand to buy from. I think you're confusing them with oddysea. Oddysea's fixtures are based on the designs on current usa and coralife, but using cheaper materials.

aquatic mouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was commenting on his quote here:

The dimensions of my tank are 48 x 18 x 21. So how many watts should i go with? I recently found a 48"Nova Extreme 8x54w T5 HO + 4 LED's which was refurbished by the company but I thought that might be to much.
Yes, I know Current USA makes them. I'm not getting them confused. We sell them at work. I've been trying to help the customer out that keeps returning them. I know Current USA USED to be a great brand. Now I sure wouldn't buy one. I took one out of the box to test it before we sent it to another store (they had a customer return too) and it shorted out a second after I plugged it in. I'd say we just got a bad batch, but this has been going on for over a year with many new shipments.

They're also way overpriced compared to Deep Blue, although Deep Blues are very hard to find in stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom