Lighting question

1. JVIEW Member Member

Hello, I want new lights for my african cichlid tank, and I have had bad luck buying lights, they always turn out to have a really dark blue or purple color which i dont like and i dont think my fish like it either, I want one that provides white light but still has a light purple type color that is used in saltwater tanks

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jview. :animal0068: I have moved your thread to "freshwater tank equipment/lighting" section of the forum to help you to get more responses. Too, if you would be so kind as to complete the aquarium information in your profile it would be a great help to others. In the blue bar at the top of the screen click on "My Settings" in the drop down bar click on "edit aquarium information".
    Thanks!
    Ken

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

You need to look at the Kelvin (K) rating on a tube before you buy it. The higher the kelvin rating, the more blue the light emited looks, the lower the kelvin rating the more yellow the light will look. If you only have a single fixture, I would pick something around about 10,000-12,000k. If you have two tubes then get one 10,000k & a Sylvania Gro-Lux tube. Instead of the Gro-lux you could use a moonlight tube such as a Coral Star or similar if you want a really blue light. I think that will give you the effect you are after.

4. Neji Member Member

If you have live plants in it, and you have two tube spaces for your light fixture; then I recommend that you get one light bulb with a kelvin level of 10,000k and another one with a 10,000k or 18,000k which I guess shouldn't be too bad for your African Cichlids. You don't state how big your tank is. I have a bunch of tanks but for my main tank the 29 gallon tank has only one space for one light bulb only, and I have a 20 W 6,500k light which I don't think is super strong, but good enough for my plants :)