Lighting Question - Red To Orange??

Purpletortoise

HI everyone!

We have a 60L hexaset freshwater tank with guppies, neons, a blue ram in. The white LED that comes with the tank means that when we bring new colourful fish home, they always look dull, muted or a diffferent colour completely. ‘Neon red’ guppies come home and look light orange.

We’ve been recommended the fluval prism 2.0 spotlight for a tank of our size but is that what we want? We can’t find a full spectrum Led to fit (is that what we need?) any help greatly received. Also, someone else mentioned RGB lights? Confused with all the types.

Here are two links of products that I’ve been recommended:

Any help greatly received!

Fanatic

That all depends on what look you are going for and what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to grow plants?

Purpletortoise

Thank you for the reply. Basically I want brighter colouring on my fish - I’m disappointed that the fish get home and look completely different.

I do have live plants but the white LED certainly adds enough light for them. Would either of those I posted links to improve the situation in addition to the existing white led?

Are the lights I added as links any good?

Fanatic

So, if I am getting this correctly, you are trying to add extra lighting for cosmetic reasons with your fish, is that right?

I haven't heard of any of the two lights you linked, you might try a light that has white, red, and blue leds together, as I have one of these and it makes lighter colored fish really stand out.
What kind of light do you currently have on the tank?

Purpletortoise

So, if I am getting this correctly, you are trying to add extra lighting for cosmetic reasons with your fish, is that right?

I haven't heard of any of the two lights you linked, you might try a light that has white, red, and blue leds together, as I have one of these and it makes lighter colored fish really stand out.
What kind of light do you currently have on the tank?

That’s right - I currently only have the standard white led strip bulb that comes with the tank. And I’m told perhaps adding a full spectrum LED might help or possibly an RGB? But maybe that spotlight could help that I linked because you can select a colour.

Fanatic

That’s right - I currently only have the standard white led strip bulb that comes with the tank. And I’m told perhaps adding a full spectrum LED might help or possibly an RGB? But maybe that spotlight could help that I linked because you can select a colour.

I personally would get a full spectrum light, that is bound to have the look you are wanting, plus it may be capable of growing your plants.

I don't favor underwater lights, they just take up space inside the tank and may not do as good of a job as an external light would.

Purpletortoise

Thank you for all your help. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a full spectrum light and the one I linked first from amazon?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Jeroen712
Replies
Views
NightShade
  • Question
Replies
Views
mxnewss