Lighting Purchase Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Fish_Man, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Fish_Man

Fish_Man Valued Member Member

Recommendation on where to purchase a fluorescent light bulb for a "good" price.

Is it better to buy it from a hardware store? Walmart? or LFS?

not putting any live plants in it.

Options I see:

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

I've typically found that if you want anything for a fish tank, it's generally cheaper at a department store. Some things are just better to get at a fish store though, For instance, if you're keeping a planted tank and need a bulb with high Kelvin? probably wanna go with a fish store.

But since you're not keeping plants I'd go right ahead with a department store if the lights will work just the same in your lighting fixture.

3. OP
    OP
    Fish_Man

that is what I found too..

but I read this on google about the light bulbs that you get at department stores (homedepot) they are made of cheaper gases and does not have the full spectrum and have the spectrum that would help algae growth compare to the ones you buy at the LFS.. true?

I just find it amazing the price difference.. from LFS for that light bulb is -$16 and another type of light bulb at $6.. (grant it, it isn't the same type of lighting but all I really want is a blue light tank now with fake plants)

4. Alcmiller

You know what, I didn't even think about that. If you do get one of the bulbs that isn't full spectrum, you wouldn't have bad algae growth. I'm not sure if the fish need those high spectrum bulbs though, might help with their coloring or something.

But yeah. I'm about to put together my own DIY lighting fixture, like 40 watts for a 10 gallon and it should only cost me about 10 dollars to get everything from Home Depot... that'd run me what... $200 at a LFS?

5. OP
    OP
    Fish_Man

probably for something that is 40watts...

you putting a lot of live plants in it? cause 40wats in a 10gal is a lot right?

6. Alcmiller

Yeah, 4 watt/gallon =) I plan on keeping it heavily planted. Gonna try my hand at some Amano Takashi aquascaping ;)

7. OP
    OP
    Fish_Man

Sounds good! Keep us updated on how it goes and pictures of what it looks like!!

8. Alcmiller

Will do =) I'll probably get it rolling next month. I'll be sure to post pretty much everything up here.

9. D

Dayle New Member Member

jewel.com

or serach jewel in google

Hope this helps!!!

10. OP
    OP
    Fish_Man

what does that have to do with?

11. striker

striker Valued Member Member

I would suggest these since they are daylight in color temperature and its a 2-pack for only 8 dollars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice