Lighting Options for Non-Transluscent Hood? [10 Gallon tank]

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Patron, Jul 1, 2016.

1. P

Patron New Member Member

My girls just set up a 10 gallon betta aquarium, I want it planted to help with keeping the water clean. Moss balls, anachris, low-moderate light options generally.

I'd gotten this Hood from Amazon (Marineland LED Light Hood) and I don't see it providing anywhere near enough light.

What are my options to get more light to the plants I want to place in there?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have that same light for my QT tank. It's terrible for plants.

Can you return the hood and get a glass lid? That'll open up your lighting options.

If not, I'd get a dome fixture (like the reptile dome lights) and put a plant-friendly bulb (5000 - 10000 K) in there and place that over the clear plastic of the hood.

3. OP
    OP
    P

Patron New Member Member

Could I replace it? Possibly - the reason I got it, however, was because the Marineland Hood had an area to cut out for a filter. Glass lid wouldn't work. Are there better options that have a 6"x3-4" opening for a filter?

4. TexasDomer

5. OP
    OP
    P

Patron New Member Member

Thanks, that might just do it. I've never set up a small tank like this, I've only worked with a 125 gallon before...

What do you think of this light for it?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  6. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Oh my, that's quite a lot of light for a 10 gallon. I'd suggest the 20" glass top with something like the Finnex Stingray or similar (I love LED). Something in the 30-40 PAR range

7. TexasDomer

I agree. Unless you're injecting CO2 and dosing ferts properly, you'll have an algae problem with that light.

8. OP
    OP
    P

Patron New Member Member

Thanks. Going with a smaller Finnex LED system. I'll update if it fails miserably, to warn others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice