Lighting issue...opinion please

1. x

xiong.s2460.mccd Valued Member Member

Hello, I have a 12 gallon current-usa aquapod with a gold bar maroon clownfish and approximately 10lbs of live rock. This set up has been up for 10 months. However, the lights went out and I have removed the top to go topless. What lighting attachments options do I have?

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Are you dissatisfied with the stock hood and looking to upgrade, or are you worried that the unit is broken? If it isn't working, you should be able to get replacement ballasts from Current. If you're looking to upgrade, you'll be able to find something that will work with mounting legs to sit on the frame of the tank. HO T5s would be nice for that tank, or you could go with a 70W clamp on MH fixture. Are you trying to keep corals?

3. OP
    OP
    x

Sorry for the late reply Harpua2002, but no corals in mind as of right now and yes, I am upgrading the lights. Only plans as of now is to include a bubble tip anemone. I just ordered a jbj viper k2 150 watt clamp on metal halide for my 12g aquapod. Will it have sufficient lights for the anemone? Corals?

Any recommendations on water pumps to create water movement. My current one broke as well...i think it sucked up some of the live sands so it does not blow much water anymore.

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh my, you should definitely have enough light for a BTA. Anemones aren't really suited for nano tanks IMO, but at least you'll have enough light. I'd suggest waiting until the tank is a year old or more to add an anemone. They need a mature and stable tank.

In the Biocube, it's easy to replace the stock pump with a Marineland Mini Jet pump, I'd imagine you could find one to fit the Aquapod. You can add a Koralia Nano or 2 for extra flow.

5. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

about 13 or 14 inches high with a 150 watt halides? It'll be pretty nice. It should be fine for a 16 inch tank for an anemone, but just make sure your water parameters are spot on. It'll be a nice SPS tank :).

random:
    I like 12K bulbs for halides. 10K is too white and 20K is too blue :)

6. OP
    OP
    x

ty for the responses. I may upgrade to a 30-40 gallon tank to attempt to pair my maroon with a new one. Will update as things happens.