Lighting idea... Using HID

Discussion in 'Saltwater Tank Equipment' started by jaysix79, Apr 15, 2010.

1. jaysix79Valued MemberMember

does anyone tried using HID light for their aquarium.....

I'm thinking of using a car HID light system for my reef tank..

advantage i can think of using this setup would be, its cheaper around 50 dollars for two bulb (35 watts each), small ballast (compact) can be retro fitted on any light fixture easily, it's in the same family as metal halide bulb so it should emit light enough . bulbs are a lot cheaper and easily available on ebay..

2. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I'm pretty sure the problem you'd encounter there is the spectrum of light from the bulbs, rather than the intensity.

3. jaysix79Valued MemberMember

the bulb run from 3000k to 1200k... would that be enough?.

4. SuaveValued MemberMember

no, i usually aim for 6500k

5. jaysix79Valued MemberMember

acutally i mean 3,000k 60 12,000k... i just check ebay now some people sell up to 30,000k

6. SuaveValued MemberMember

oh wow.. uhm.. don't know how to reply[:
    ill let someone else respond to that one. haha

7. nemo addictWell Known MemberMember

hid bulbs would need to be covered well ,,as salt would get on them and if you have a car when you install them you can not touch the bulb as this can make them blow pretty easy ,, I dont think this would work but would be intresting to find out ,,,

8. jaysix79Valued MemberMember

I'm actually thinking of putting it in a housing.. and ill let it hang from a wall/celling.. just like those hanging MH light fixture

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice