Lighting help

Amartin14655

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to plan my next tank, and man... lighting is confusing. I was hoping I could get some help. Im getting a 65 gallon tank, 18.4 in L x 36.4 in W x 25 in H. I definitely want something with adjustable brightness, that's capable of giving me some good high lighting. other than that I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like my Fluval LED light for Plants I just got for my 20 gallon long. Super bright and you can adjust the Red, Blue, Cool White, Warm White, and Pure White all separate. AND it links to your phone via Bluetooth so you can set a timer. You can even make a custom timer for each light color. Super fancy!

Amartin14655

Valued Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the fluval 3.0?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's a very quick run down:
You have a tall tank, so you'll need good PAR. PAR is the light plants use most of for photosynthesis. Medium light is considered in the 30-80 PAR range.

There are some PAR charts of various lights available online that other hobbyists share, but I haven't found one for the Fluval, although my LFS had 3 of them on a 100g cube and it was a lot of light. They need to supplement with pressurized co2.

On my 24" and 26" deep tanks, I use Beamswork or Finnex as my main light. Beamswork DA series or Finnex 24/7. PAR charts put them at 42 PAR @ 22" deep which is med light at the substrate. To cover the 18" width, I have a cheaper fixture behind the main light like a Beamswork EA.

I also see the Vivagrow is pretty good as a secondary light at least and a very good price in the US. Similar to the Finnex 24/7 in respect to the fully customizable spectrum and photoperiod, but i'm not sure about PAR.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Amartin14655 said:
are you talking about the fluval 3.0?
That's the one! A bit pricey depending on size but for me it was a one and done light.

Amartin14655

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at reviews and what not and I'm down to the finnex 24/7 or the fluval 3.0. maybe the Current USA satellite but probably not. It seems like the fluval 3.0 has alot better reviews and the bluetooth looks pretty awesome, but man that's alot of money. Is it worth it?
Also how much does the tank depth affect PAR? Is it worth reconsidering what tank I want? I wanted a long tank, but they were really hard to find online.

Dennis57

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amartin14655 said:
I've been looking at reviews and what not and I'm down to the finnex 24/7 or the fluval 3.0. maybe the Current USA satellite but probably not. It seems like the fluval 3.0 has alot better reviews and the bluetooth looks pretty awesome, but man that's alot of money. Is it worth it?
Also how much does the tank depth affect PAR? Is it worth reconsidering what tank I want? I wanted a long tank, but they were really hard to find online.
Yes they are worth it, I have 3 of them, 1 is on my 125

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Personally I feel like its easier to fill a long tank as opposed to a tall tank precisely for the lighting depth, but I've also not tried many taller plants. I went with a 20 long instead of a standard because it has a betta in it and they tend to like less depth in favor of more length.

As far as the light, I paid like $120 for the 24"-34" and the biggest one is upwards of $200+, but the controllability (if that's even a word) is fantastic. You can have the blue on at 4am, the reds come on an hour or 2 later for the sunrise, followed by the balance with cool/warm/pure whites to make the daylight, then ramp them all down for sunset. The fine tuning is almost overwhelming. IMO it's worth the money and I hope to not need a light for that tank for many years.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 120 gallon is 26", I have the Finnex 24/7 HLC and Beamswork RBG. I can grow a carpet like dwarf sag or stargrass. No problem with light reaching the bottom to grow med light plants.
20170308_224655.jpg

My 24" tall 90 gallon has a Beamswork equivilent to the DA 6500k and a Beamswork equivilent to the 100000k EA series. Same thing, low and medium light plants.
20191124_200145.jpg

With a deep tank, you need enough light at the bottom to grow whichever light bracket the plants fall into at various levels in depth. So if you want med light plants as a forground, you need med light at the foreground level.

Amartin14655

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I'm starting to understand. At first I got sucked into the whole "watts per gallon" measurement, which apparently is totally irrelevant. So whenever you're using a light with an adjustable spectrum, how do you figure out what to set it too? Is there info on what spectrums certain plants like or is it just trial and error?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amartin14655 said:
Ok thanks, I'm starting to understand. At first I got sucked into the whole "watts per gallon" measurement, which apparently is totally irrelevant. So whenever you're using a light with an adjustable spectrum, how do you figure out what to set it too? Is there info on what spectrums certain plants like or is it just trial and error?
Good question! The measurements are using fixture on MAX power.
So if you reduce a colour intensity, you are reducing PAR (available light to plants).

It's trial and error if you want to have a sunrise/sunset, if you get algae, reduce light, if plants are reaching for light and lacking color, increase it. This could be either intensity or photoperiod length. There's more to it, more to learn, but that's it wrapped up.

BevM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I will be following this thread with interest. I have a 55 gallon and would like to have a new light for my plants, but I have so much trouble understanding par and Kelvin and all the other terms necessary to make a good decision.

Amartin14655

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok I think I get it. maybe lol. So if I went and got this light. How would I decide whether I needed to turn the green up, or the red down, or the white up, etc etc.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom