Lighting help Question

1. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Hey guys. I was wanting to switch my lighting to CFL bulbs to help my plants, maybe. What do I need to be looking for at the store for a 10 gallon tank? Also how do I know its safe with my aquarium hood? Do they get hot?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't get the bulbs that they sell at the pet store. Some of them aren't really good. Since you want CFL bulbs, I would recommend going to walmart or Home Depot and getting the CFL bulbs that have a rating between 5000k to 6500k. They are great. I had some in my 10 gallon tank before and they got the job done. They don't get hot at all compared to incandescent bulbs which got burning hot lol. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Thanks! How do I know it's safe to put them in my hood?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

The main thing you are looking for is to ensure that the wattage of the bulb is less then the "max wattage" of the light fixture/hood. Also check out the shape of the bulb compared to the space in the hood. You can use regular screw in, spiral CFL bulbs. They don't do anything special to "aquarium" light bulbs, just market them differently and charge a lot more per light. Some of the 10 gallon hoods with screw in lights don't have much space for some of the spiral CFL's. If that is the case for you, there is a skinnier CFL that is 10 watts I think, it's more of a U shaped tube on the bulb if that makes sense. I have seen them at Walmart in the aquarium section, but they are a bit more pricey. As aquaticbrandon suggested, something in the 6500k range is ideal.