lighting for plants

1. xARIZ0NAx Member Member

ok since i don't really ask the people at pet smart for questions i just pick up some lights for my plants on my own i bought 2 18" long floramax plant growth lamps there each 15 watts and when i put them in the tank they kinda looked like black lights my betta and red wag platie really show because there both red but i was stuck for a little because i saw some lights that where Full Spectrum Daylight should i have bought those ones or am i ok with the floramax :confused:

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank and what plants are in there?

3. xARIZ0NAx Member Member

its a 60 with no plants yet im reading about them but i have 1 betta 3 gouramis 4 cory cats 2 angels and 3 platies

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

For a tank that size with 2 T8s at 15w ea. will give too low of lighting.

You'ed have to stick with low light plants like Java Fern and Anubias might do ok.

I'd consider upgrading. Maybe a T5HO (high output) fixture. You can grow anything.

Medium to highlighting you start getting into co2 and fertlizers dosed in the water column. Then you have to balance all 3 or algae can get a foot hold.

Root tabs for root feeders like Sword plants and Crypts regardless if it's low-highlighting.

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

30 watts of light over a 60G tank will not come close to what is needed to even grow low light plants.

I recommend returning the lights you just purchased, and instead picking up a T5HO fixture. High out put lighting will brighten up the tank and be able to reach through the water into the substrate. And stick with the daylight type bulbs; avoid the blue actnic lighting for a planted tank.

6. xARIZ0NAx Member Member

thank you both ill look into that in the morning:)

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would highly recommend upping your lights as well. There is just simply not enough light to grow much beyond some floating plants.

A T5HO fixture will allow you to grow basically all the plants you could want.

If you want to try and save a few bucks you could look for a 2 bulb T5 Normal Output (NO) fixture or even just a standard 2 bulb strip light. Keep in mind thou that both of these options are not conducive to all plants out there and if you really get into plants they will need to be replaced again.

8. xARIZ0NAx Member Member

hey about those lights for my plants i went to look at the lights and i was looking at the Aqueon® T5 Fluorescent 6.7K Lamp but they did not have my size so then i saw the Aqueon® T-8 Full Spectrum Daylight 8,000 k Fluorescent Lamp here is the site http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp;+Hoods please tell me what you think

9. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Those T8 Full Spectrum bulbs still will put you in the low light category for the height of your tank. They are not a strong light like the T5HO bulbs. They put out 2-3x or more light then the standard flourcents - T8, T12 and T5NO.

I still recommend going for the 48" dual T5HO fixture. I got mine from thatpetplace.com for 134.99 plus shipping. The tubes don't need to be replaced for 18-24 months. Standard flourcent bulbs are 6-8 months.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/catsma_97504/112191-reference-hoppys-lighting-chart.html

10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Christine. Without purchasing a new fixture, you will be unable to grow plants successfully.