Lighting for planted 10 Gallon

Ashley Jones

I'm new to planted tanks so any suggestions help!

I'm planning to cycle a ten gallon soon and I want to give live plants a go. I'm thinking of doing dwarf grass (eleocharis acicularis) in the foreground, an Anubias for the midground(ish), and an Amazon sword in the back (possibly two). I don't have a lid yet but I'm looking at the Aqueon Versa Top. I've heard some people have issues getting light to the foreground plants with that lid? It's still my main option though.

For lighting, I'm currently looking at the Finnex Stingray 2. I'm worried that since I won't be having too many plants to start, I'll have an algae issue with moderate lighting BUT I also want my dwarf grass to have good lighting so it'll carpet. The Finnex Planted+ may be an option but that is definitely pushing my wallet! I know some folks use clip-on lighting? Would that be a better option?

Thanks in advance!!

Cody

Pretty much any led made for Planted tanks will work on a 10g and will work for high light since it’s not very tall.

the stingray 2 will work great. Just make sure you put it on a timer or be consistent with your light schedule. And start with short intervals to help cut down on algae. But you just have to play with it. And except that will will have some to start.

if you do want to spring for a plant+ or any Other light with a 24/7 cycle it is handy. Gives a built in timer as well as the ability to tune the spectrums. and advantage of this is you have a peak and then have it reduced for pets of the day. This helps balance your viewing time with the time required for good plant growth.

No experience with that lid so I can’t help you there!

NBettas83

I personally like the Current USA Satellite Plus LED, but I haven't tried many lights.

Ashley Jones

I personally like the Current USA Satellite Plus LED, but I haven't tried many lights.
I've heard Current is a good brand too. I'll check that out as well.

mukg

The LED plus model from Current USA matches up well with the Finnex Planted series.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
  • Question
Replies
Views
Shrimp42
Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck
Replies