Lighting for new tank 63g

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 14, 2015.

1. K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

Ive read loads on low light forums 1 watt per gallon.. PAR measurements im lost... So im hoping by providing a few details you can tell me a good light unit thats easily available in QLD Australia parts and bulbs easily accessible and not too pricey..

Currently for my 63g which isnt up and running yet i have a 4 foot aqua one unit with 1x T8 40watt sunlight bulb and an aqualina slimline LED which came with the tank but i dont know much about it so not sure of watts etc. I need advice on wether the Aquaone unit 40 watt will work but going by the watts per gallon rule it wont i think id need about 80-100 watt bulb.. Can someone work out par for me and tell me what light unit i should get for low light plants..
    Tank dimensions are -
    4 foot x 54cm tall x 46cm wide

My current plants in my 40g that has a 30watt tropical bulb over it are:
    - elodia, annubis, hairgrass, wisteria, ambulia, lizard tail (only put in yeturday) and something i cant remember.. They seem to be doing fine so far..

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

From what I have learned the last day or 2, LED is the way to go. They cost more upfront, but save you money in the long, both on bulbs and electricity cost. One unit can run for 50,000 hours before the lights begin to dim, and its even been stated that they are good for another 50,000 before you have to replace them. (thats 27 years for 10 hours a day!!!).

I was recently recommend this light for my 55gallon, which is the same height as your tank. http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Planted-Aquarium-Moonlights/dp/B00GH9HURE

I dont know if you can have it shipped to Aus but you can find that type of set up locally otherwise. Dolfan is the one who helped me the most, along with Dom90

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes this is the same LED I'm running on my 75g and I have to say it works great. Not too expensive for a LED and it will keep long term energy costs down compared to T8s or metal halides.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    K

Can anyone tell me an australian version?

5. OP
    OP
    K

Can anyone tell me the basics to what i need to look for on the light unit.. Watts per bulb etc

6. OP
    OP
    K

Would 2x 54watt T5 HO bulbs be enough or too much for my tank??

7. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

8. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

You should be able to find Finnex Planted Plus LED in Australia, search for it on your ebay.

9. OP
    OP
    K

I tried ebay for finnex lights only international sellers.. What do people who live in australia use for there low light setup

10. OP
    OP
    K

Has anyone had success chosing lights without measuring PAR? I dont want to have to buy a measurer

11. alink

LED is the way to go. It's cheaper to run and lasts many many years. Let me do some digging on Australia models and I'll get back to ya

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. alink

They ship to Australia and that is the model that was recommended to me for the same length and depth as your tank.

13. OP
    OP
    K

Ok it seems a bit cheap to me which size model do i go for?

Can i see it set up on ur tank?

14. alink

I have yet to get it.. lol. I am short on funds right now I am planning to have it with 2-4 weeks. I think Dolfan has this light on his tank. You would want the 48 inch if your tank is 48 inches (4 foot) long. I have been searching and researching these lights for the last couple days and I have yet to find a bad review with an actual fault. Most of the bad reviews are saying that it causes too much algae to form. As long as you keep the lighting hours to about 8-10 hours a day and have sufficient amount of plants, algae shouldnt be much of a concern. If you have a pleco, oto, or other algae eater, the algae growth would be welcomed and actually a good thing!

15. OP
    OP
    K

Yeah well i have a BN and i want some zebra nerite snails so not too worried about the algea..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice